eMaxis Slim S&P 500 or SBI S&P 500?

cocacola
Regular

eMaxis Slim S&P 500 or SBI S&P 500?

Post by cocacola »

Investing novice here!

I've been looking at two NISA-available S&P 500 funds: one by eMaxis Slim and another by SBI.

From what I am seeing, the Expense Ratio of both is almost exactly the same (eMaxis Slim is 0.0937, while SBI is 0.0938).

The performance of each fund is very similar, with the eMaxis Slim one beating SBI's by about 0.15%, generally.

Price-per-share is 22,802円 for eMaxis, and 20,888円 for the SBI one. SBI is about 2000-yen cheaper per unit.

There is a pretty big discrepancy in their net assets, with eMaxis' at 2.4-million百万円, and SBI's at 1-million百万円.

I am considering putting in 20万円 into an S&P 500 fund. Would it be a good choice to purchase the SBI instead of the eMaxis, since I can receive more shares of it? Are the very slightly higher expense ratio, the slightly lower performance, and the lower amount of assets under management enough to stay away from the SBI? Have I missed anything in my research?

Again, investing newbie here. I would really like to learn more about different thought-processes on choosing funds.

Thanks for your input!
captainspoke
Sage

Re: eMaxis Slim S&P 500 or SBI S&P 500?

Post by captainspoke »

The one is probably "cheaper" since its inception date is different--or the price at inception for the two could have been pegged differently.

Having 'more' shares is not owning more of the S&P500, it's just dividing an identical pie into a fractionally different number of bits. And when considering asset allocation, you'd look at the value of something (your S&P500 holding, here) vs. the value of other investments you have. So maybe you'd want 20%, or 40%, of your investments in one of these funds--if so, you'd look at the value of that holding, and not the number of shares you have.
cocacola
Regular

Post by cocacola »

captainspoke wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:18 am Having 'more' shares is not owning more of the S&P500, it's just dividing an identical pie into a fractionally different number of bits. And when considering asset allocation, you'd look at the value of something (your S&P500 holding, here) vs. the value of other investments you have. So maybe you'd want 20%, or 40%, of your investments in one of these funds--if so, you'd look at the value of that holding, and not the number of shares you have.
I had a feeling that this is the case -- it doesn't matter the number of shares, but the amount of moolah invested, as a whole.

Now knowing that, and the fact which you pointed out that the SBI S&P 500 fund is younger than the eMaxis Slim one, and also that the total assets under management for SBI is half that of eMaxis Slim's, I think I will go with buying the eMaxis Slim one.

Feels like a safer bet.

Thank-you!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I would go for the eMaxis Slim one, because it buys the underlying stocks itself, compared to the SBI one which is just reselling the VOO ETF.

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Japanese_glo ... th_US_ETFs