Rent/Income ratio? Opinion please.

Nancy
Regular

Re: Rent/Income ratio? Opinion please.

Post by Nancy »

But keep in mind that you might need to be flexible with a baby coming. Where you live can be really important as the benefits that are offered to the child (for example, although free medical care), the number of nursery school placements available for a working mother etc. Also, you want to be comfortable in your home, to help relieve stress of child rearing. Also, having a child, in general, can be expensive. When you are ready to retire, having a few years that don't match your goals is fine, if you have a happy life.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Nancy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:09 am But keep in mind that you might need to be flexible with a baby coming. Where you live can be really important as the benefits that are offered to the child (for example, although free medical care), the number of nursery school placements available for a working mother etc. Also, you want to be comfortable in your home, to help relieve stress of child rearing. Also, having a child, in general, can be expensive. When you are ready to retire, having a few years that don't match your goals is fine, if you have a happy life.
Thank you. Totally agree with the final statement, a few years compensating for a happy many years is a no-brainer.

We scouted a new place yesterday and really liked it. (around 10-11% rent/income)
On the basis of google maps scan and looking at the building information page on the real estate website, there are 4 nursery/kindergarten in walking distance. Elementary school, junior high school within 5 minutes walk from the building. Multiple big parks and children's play ground within 5 minutes walking distance as well.
The only concern I have is, as it is a huge residential complex with hundreds of families, all the facilities (nurseries, etc) might have huge demand.

Also, to understand about the benefits, do they depend on the city or the ward? After the move, we will be in the same city but a different ward.
And I am assuming one goes to the ward office to know more about them, correct?
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

1. Are you planning to cosleep (not recommended) or move them to their own room at six months?

2. Do you plan to have more than 1?
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:34 am 1. Are you planning to cosleep (not recommended) or move them to their own room at six months?

1.I am against co-sleeping. Wife was initially not on-board but now coming towards it. So, I think we will be not co-sleep kind of parents.

2. No. Even to plan for 1, we went through multiple rounds of back and forth. I don't think this will change, unless something drastic happens.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

goran wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:37 am
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:34 am 1. Are you planning to cosleep (not recommended) or move them to their own room at six months?

1.I am against co-sleeping. Wife was initially not on-board but now coming towards it. So, I think we will be not co-sleep kind of parents.

2. No. Even to plan for 1, we went through multiple rounds of back and forth. I don't think this will change, unless something drastic happens.
Here Here. My wife has heard so many horror stories in Japan. A lot of deaths are written off as SIDs and injuries are unreported. The surveys of nurses and ER doctors reflect the true dangers.

This gives you a lot of flexibility time-wise. Save and keep looking for the perfect area, you may even decide to stay put!

When you find the perfect area, you can then decide if renting, buying used, reforming used, or buying new is best based on the market.

Make a list of wants, buy a physical map, pin it to a wall, and circle areas of the Internet. Go on day trips to those areas.

I need to remind myself to take my own advice.

(3 years old and 8 months old in a 3ldk. Enough space IMO, but I would not want to go smaller. It is corporate housing so Showa style. Not a forever home, but good god have we saved money).
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:49 am
goran wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:37 am

Here Here. My wife has heard so many horror stories in Japan. A lot of deaths are written off as SIDs and injuries are unreported. The surveys of nurses and ER doctors reflect the true dangers.

This gives you a lot of flexibility time-wise. Save and keep looking for the perfect area, you may even decide to stay put!

When you find the perfect area, you can then decide if renting, buying used, reforming used, or buying new is best based on the market.

Make a list of wants, buy a physical map, pin it to a wall, and circle areas of the Internet. Go on day trips to those areas.

I need to remind myself to take my own advice.

(3 years old and 8 months old in a 3ldk. Enough space IMO, but I would not want to go smaller. It is corporate housing so Showa style. Not a forever home, but good god have we saved money).
Adding to my co-sleeping comment, I think even during the first 6 months, sleeping in the same room may be OK, but same mattress just sounds to o risky to me. So, I agree with you here.

About the new place, its 3LDK (84m2, I think). So quite big place. and spacious enough for home-office as well.
But pricey, around 142k JPY per month (some context; its 20 mins walk from downtown Osaka), including all the cost. But there are no additional initial costs. So, we are taking the shot here!

And as you said, we can always look for another place, if we are not satisfied with this one, or if some unexpected change occurs.