Japanese tax on UK pension

NobbyTokyo

Japanese tax on UK pension

Post by NobbyTokyo »

Not sure if this has been asked before. I have started receiving my UK state pension into my UK bank account. I don't intend to transfer it into my Japanese bank account, this year at least. Will I have to declare that as overseas earnings and pay Japanese tax on it? Also, if anyone knows, do I have to submit a UK tax form even though the total I receive will be below the personal allowance of about 12.5K pounds? Thanks.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Japanese tax on UK pension

Post by Beaglehound »

As I understand it, with you being a Japan resident the U.K. will not tax pension income. And you will have to declare it here, assuming you have been here for at least 5 of the last 10 years. This would be the case whether you actually remit to Japan or not. Regarding taxation, I am not sure of the treatment here. There is your usual personal allowance of 480k, and there is an extra public pension deduction (not sure how much off the top of my head). It has been suggested on here that the U.K. state pension would qualify for this deduction, but I haven’t seen this definitively confirmed.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

See

https://www.tax.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/book/ ... k2022e.pdf

Page 8 - Calculating the Public Pension Plan Deduction (Calculation Table)
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
NobbyTokyo

Post by NobbyTokyo »

Thanks, will read carefully ;)
NobbyTokyo

Post by NobbyTokyo »

and thanks, Beaglehound.