Permanent Visa question

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
douglasxwilliams
Regular

Permanent Visa question

Post by douglasxwilliams »

Hi all...

I am currently on a 5 year work visa (expiring in a couple of years), and i am in the process of working with an immigration/visa services agency to get a Permanent Resident visa. According to the few agencies i talked with, they calculated things and said i had enough "points" to apply and qualify.

As part of the process, they told me that i will need to give them my passport and current Residence card when they go to the immigration office.
As I worry about NOT carrying my residence card with me at all times, I am wondering if that is okay? I mean, for others that have gone the PR route, do you have to give up both passport and residence card....and for how long? It seems that there are random times i need the residence card....like even a week ago when i was applying at the local community center gym.

thanks for any info
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Permanent Visa question

Post by Tkydon »

It will be fine. If asked, say that it is with Immigration for your PR Application.

It should come back in a few days with a stamp saying Application in Progress...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
douglasxwilliams
Regular

Tkydon wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:14 am It will be fine. If asked, say that it is with Immigration for your PR Application.

It should come back in a few days with a stamp saying Application in Progress...
Thanks for the helping me feel better about it. i was just worried because most things i have read have stated that i need to carry my Residence card with me at all times.

thanks!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

douglasxwilliams wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:49 am As I worry about NOT carrying my residence card with me at all times, I am wondering if that is okay?
Yes, if it's because you entrusted it to an agent for immigration purposes.

https://www.moj.go.jp/isa/publications/ ... html#q38-a

But it won't hurt to keep a copy.

If you apply yourself, they only keep the card for a few minutes while they check your paperwork, so your agent shouldn't need to keep the card for more than a few days.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

I went through this process recently. They take it for a couple of days twice; once to submit the application and then again to receive the new card after approval.

My agency was willing to give me a letter stating that my passport and residence card were with them for PR application process. So, if you really feel the need, you could ask them to give you a simple letter or some document stating that they have your ID's.
douglasxwilliams
Regular

Hi all...
@adamu @johnkun @goran @tkydon

Thank you for the follow up messages and providing some extra relief.

I did take a couple of copies (pdf and jpg) of both the card and passport.

And I remembered about my health insurance and My Number card last night. So, i figured that should help to prevent any sort of international incident. :)

I didn't about asking for a letter/document from the immigration service...as a receipt of my IDs...but they actually sent me one an hour ago.

So...I guess now...all is good and i leave myself at the mercy of the Fates or Furies. Or both!?

thank you all again. This is an awesome community and I can always trust the answers and appreciate all of the support!