Confused by Loan Bank Transfer discrepancy

AntarcticFinance
Regular

Confused by Loan Bank Transfer discrepancy

Post by AntarcticFinance »

I recently bought my first apartment in Tokyo as a foreigner fully in Japanese and to say I was unfamiliar with the myriad of steps is an understatement. I'm still not fully sure how everything works here, but I managed it by myself fairly well. I opted for a 100% loan (¥0 downpayment) with a fixed 1.0% interest rate for 35 years. Pretty standard stuff.

On the day I signed (inkan) for the house, the bank that loaned me the money credited me with the total loan amount into my account (a), then deducted the payments again to pay the agency, previous owner, other parties etc. (b). However, a-b leaves me with a ~+¥3,000,000 surplus that I didn't have before in my account. Very strange and no idea why. :?

Can anyone who is familiar with buying property in Japan shed any light on how this money-into your account, money-out system works when you buy a property with a mortgage? Apologies if this is an obvious one, this is all new to me.
Kiro
Regular

Re: Confused by Loan Bank Transfer discrepancy

Post by Kiro »

Did you account for the deposit you gave to the previous owner when signing the contract? The bank pays it back.

It can also be that the estimate prepared by your agent and given to the bank was higher than what you actually ended up paying and the bank gave you the full amount (for the judicial clerk/registration fee, house insurance, property tax, revenue stamp… all of this come to mind).

The same happened to me, I was pretty happy about it (e.g. agent quoted ¥400k for house insurance, while i ended up paying ¥40k).

If I may ask, which bank did you use to get a 1% 35 years fixed? It’s pretty good.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Kiro wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:19 pm Did you account for the deposit you gave to the previous owner when signing the contract? The bank pays it back.

It can also be that the estimate prepared by your agent and given to the bank was higher than what you actually ended up paying and the bank gave you the full amount (for the judicial clerk/registration fee, house insurance, property tax, revenue stamp… all of this come to mind).

The same happened to me, I was pretty happy about it (e.g. agent quoted ¥400k for house insurance, while i ended up paying ¥40k).

If I may ask, which bank did you use to get a 1% 35 years fixed? It’s pretty good.
1% is nothing special. A friend just got their Flat-35 at 0.87% through SBI.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

AntarcticFinance wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:20 am I recently bought my first apartment in Tokyo as a foreigner fully in Japanese and to say I was unfamiliar with the myriad of steps is an understatement. I'm still not fully sure how everything works here, but I managed it by myself fairly well. I opted for a 100% loan (¥0 downpayment) with a fixed 1.0% interest rate for 35 years. Pretty standard stuff.

On the day I signed (inkan) for the house, the bank that loaned me the money credited me with the total loan amount into my account (a), then deducted the payments again to pay the agency, previous owner, other parties etc. (b). However, a-b leaves me with a ~+¥3,000,000 surplus that I didn't have before in my account. Very strange and no idea why. :?

Can anyone who is familiar with buying property in Japan shed any light on how this money-into your account, money-out system works when you buy a property with a mortgage? Apologies if this is an obvious one, this is all new to me.
You need to contact your bank and ask them. Nobody here will be able to tell you for sure.
If you don't need it, and it's not a mistaken credit, put it all in the 新NISA from next year!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
AntarcticFinance
Regular

Yes good point, I will do that!
AntarcticFinance
Regular

Kiro wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:19 pm Did you account for the deposit you gave to the previous owner when signing the contract? The bank pays it back.

I took a 1.00% fixed loan for ten years through Shinsei Bank, then I have to re-mortgage at that point. When I bought the house they were offering me a choice of 0.35% variable, 1.00% fixed for 10 years, or 1.5% fixed for 35 years. For reference, I have PR and put zero money down so 100% loan.
Last edited by AntarcticFinance on Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiro
Regular

Post by Kiro »

Ah right, it makes sense then. It thought it was a fixed 1.0% for the full 35 years.
I was offered approximately the same rates by SBI net, went with the 0.32% variable. We'll see how it goes...
AntarcticFinance
Regular

Kiro wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:29 am Ah right, it makes sense then. It thought it was a fixed 1.0% for the full 35 years.
I was offered approximately the same rates by SBI net, went with the 0.32% variable. We'll see how it goes...
I was honestly very torn between the variable and the fixed for ten years. Most mortgages in Japan are variable is my understanding, and given the debt ratios here, if interest rates go up that much everyone is bankrupt, so in theory they can't. In theory.