Which Internet Provider are you using

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
Jed331

Re: Which Internet Provider are you using

Post by Jed331 »

I use UQ and it’s about half the price of SoftBank …. But I will say the speed is slower
We get our power bill paid through them and it has never been cheaper
William
Regular

Post by William »

I use Biglobe offer, since I was also using their offer for my mobile phone.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

concerned wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:11 pm Hi All
I am using ITS COM (non fibre optic) and paying 4,800 per month.
Its a bit unstable these days, resetting the modem used to fix this, but not of late
Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for reasonable priced, stable options?
Thanks
If you've been with them for a while, you might ask about getting a new modem and router. Providers usually leave this alone until there's a customer complaint. These are usually rentals, so any upgrade/replacement shouldn't cost anything.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I pay 2750 for Nuro. Its less stable than I was expecting but all in all its pretty great (and cheap).
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

Thanks! for the feedback
I went with Nuro in the end and am very happy with it. Went with a 3 year contract and currently paying 950 Yen per month
Jed331

Post by Jed331 »

I pay about 2800 yen per month with UQ (that’s with 15G of data)
It’s a little slow but so much cheaper than anything I have had so far and another great thing is …. Ok you have 15G but unlimited 3G data
It is enough for basic YouTube and email etc
MajesticSoup
Regular

Post by MajesticSoup »

My landlord does not allow drilling into walls, which meant that even though NURO was okay with this, the second installation part is through another contractor which was not okay with this, so the whole sign up process and whatnot was aborted.

Is there any provider that allows for internet with 1gbps+ that doesn’t require drilling holes?

I’m on 2F of a 集合住宅 (sorry I have no idea how to say this in English).
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

MajesticSoup wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:34 am Is there any provider that allows for internet with 1gbps+ that doesn’t require drilling holes?
There's a technology called G.fast, which is fiber to the building then uses ASDL over the existing phone lines in the building to provide close to 1Gbps speeds. It requires setting up and networking equipment, but only at one place in the building, so is quite a good tradeoff for the owner to be able to say the building supports high speed internet. As an individual user, you just plug a modem into the phone line. I think Au is the only provider in Japan, marketed as "type G", but I may be wrong.

It could be worth checking with your 管理会社 if this is available or if the owner will consider it.
mikele3
Veteran

Post by mikele3 »

Tony wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:05 am We have OCN Hayabusa Hikari. It's 5610 per month for 1Gbps up and down (best effort). I'm using IPoE to connect instead of PPPoE to avoid the IPv4 congestion. Nuro is only available in 2Gpbs in my area, and you are forced to use their router and put up with double NAT if you want to use a better router, so I'm happy with OCN.
I also use OCN and work and Plala at home; in both cases I have their NTT router setup as passthrough so that I can use my own router (PPPoE).

I am going to move soon and I am in the process to selecting a new ISP... any experience with J-Com vs Plala or OCN Hikari Home ?