UK Pension - Changing Direct Debit?

RetroNewbie
Regular

UK Pension - Changing Direct Debit?

Post by RetroNewbie »

I've been paying Class 2 UK Pension contributions for a number of years by Direct Debit, but my UK bank account is closing soon and so I need to change the Direct Debit to Wise.

I'm looking at the CF83 form and it's very confusing and complicated, and asking for a bunch of information I don't know.

Has anyone changed their Direct Debit details recently? Do you know if it's necessary to fill out the entire form, or just the Direct Debit section?

I assume I filled out the same for 10 years ago or so, but I don't have a record of what I wrote at the time.

The wiki has a bunch of useful information, but doesn't mention changing Direct Debits.
https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... F83:_notes

The bank account is closing in November, and I heard they're very slow to respond, so I don't really want to wait 3 months to get a reply saying they couldn't do it because I filled out the form wrong.

I have changed employers in Japan since I last applied, so I don't know if that's important.

TLDR: The wiki is mainly about applying for the first time, but do I have to fill everything out again if I'm changing details?
beanhead
Sage

Re: UK Pension - Changing Direct Debit?

Post by beanhead »

Mmm...you could try calling HMRC, but it may take a while to get through.

Another alternative is not to use direct debit and just pay them once a year by bank transfer.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

HMRC and grandparents are about the only people who still take cheques.... I have an old cheque book from about 10 years ago with Lloyds and I pay by that way for my NICs voluntary contributions. I can imagine Wise being at the forefront of the latest online banking developments do not offer this option....
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

RetroNewbie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:42 am I've been paying Class 2 UK Pension contributions for a number of years by Direct Debit, but my UK bank account is closing soon and so I need to change the Direct Debit to Wise.

Just wondered if you've made any progress?
Selfishly, as i think I'll need to get away from my brick and mortar bank before i've finish making contributions.

In case it helps (it won't) here's a thread from an ex-pat forum in Switzerland no less.
https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-ban ... debit.html

Someone complaining about how difficult it is to contact HRMC and lamenting about why they can't just change the Direct Debit details online.
And all this just ten(10) short years ago.

God bless HMRC. Not exactly fertile ground for the advent of A.I. is it..
Picture the scene in 3015. An HMRC genderless hologram appears above the dashboard of your Mars rover..
HRMC Holo: "Sure Lincon6Echo, would you like me to print the blank form on your home printer so you can start the process of completing and posting that to me on the next Earth bound shuttle so I can incorrectly input it several years from now?"
"That guy"