Simple Q&A - NISA

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by RetireJapan »

pfdsa wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:34 am Since I started my tsumitate NISA 2 years ago only checked it twice, so been away for a while from the forum...
THIS IS THE WAY :D

(eMaxis Slim All-Country still a fine option, they have lowered the fees a couple of times while you were away)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:50 am
pfdsa wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:34 am Since I started my tsumitate NISA 2 years ago only checked it twice, so been away for a while from the forum...
THIS IS THE WAY :D

(eMaxis Slim All-Country still a fine option, they have lowered the fees a couple of times while you were away)
Thank you Ben, as always :D

That is great to know, will help out my wife buying the all country fund. Mine was up around +21%, so it was a really nice surprise after not checking it for a long time!
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

pfdsa wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:34 am My wife finally decided to open a tsumitate NISA account this year!
Is the emaxis slim all country still the index fund most recommended in this forum?
Since I started my tsumitate NISA 2 years ago only checked it twice, so been away for a while from the forum...
As there is only 3 months left in this year, I would not use Tsumitate NISA for this year.

I would go with a regular NISA and just pay as much as you can in by the end of December.

Then you can start the New NISA next year with Tsumitate to a max of 1.2M per year, and if you like, the Regular NISA up to 2.4M per year.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Tkydon wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:20 am As there is only 3 months left in this year, I would not use Tsumitate NISA for this year.

I would go with a regular NISA and just pay as much as you can in by the end of December.

Then you can start the New NISA next year with Tsumitate to a max of 1.2M per year, and if you like, the Regular NISA up to 2.4M per year.
On the other hand if OP has 400,000 yen or less to invest, the 20-year tax free period for tsumitate NISA is more attractive.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Mrblobby
Regular

Post by Mrblobby »

Hello.

I'm getting confused in the world of too-much-information once again, so hope someone might clear up one point for me:

NISA 2023.
It's filled up with 1.2 million yen last month.
It's for up to 5 years, right?

But what would happen if I don't do anything with it (for whatever reason; forget, ill, etc) and it goes over 5 year period?

Thank you!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Mrblobby wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:54 am Hello.

I'm getting confused in the world of too-much-information once again, so hope someone might clear up one point for me:

NISA 2023.
It's filled up with 1.2 million yen last month.
It's for up to 5 years, right?

But what would happen if I don't do anything with it (for whatever reason; forget, ill, etc) and it goes over 5 year period?

Thank you!
On January 1st of the sixth year, the investments are moved into your taxable account and the purchase price is reset so that you don't have to pay tax on any gains during the tax-free period.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Mrblobby
Regular

Post by Mrblobby »

OK, so just to get it 100% clear:

If my 1.2 million yen ended up being worth 2.0 million yen at the end of December on the 5th year, I would still be able to get my hands on the full 2 million yen beyond 1st January..... without it being taxed?

Thank you very much for the help!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Mrblobby wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:21 am OK, so just to get it 100% clear:

If my 1.2 million yen ended up being worth 2.0 million yen at the end of December on the 5th year, I would still be able to get my hands on the full 2 million yen beyond 1st January..... without it being taxed?

Thank you very much for the help!
Yep, only gains after January 1st would be taxed, so if your 2m yen grew to 2.2m in the taxable account and you sold it, you would be taxed 20.315% of the 200,000 yen gain, not the 2m that came out of NISA.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Mrblobby
Regular

Post by Mrblobby »

Got it!

Thank you. :D
eagleyes
Regular

Post by eagleyes »

Hello everyone!

I would like to confirm some point. I have invested in NISA same product over several years. In my account, the acquired price shown is the yen-average price from each buy and Rakuten shows me the capital gains or loss against actual price. So far I got it.
Now, I am coming to the NISA 5 years end and I would like to sell only the portion of the product I have purchased in 2018 - not the rest.
If I send an order "please sell 10 shares", is the system going to sell the 2018 10 shares portion and calculate the capital gains/loss against the 2018 acquired price and not the average acquired price?

I am asking because I remember selling one time partially thinking I was going to make gains but instead I finished with (minor) losses so I thought I check again how this works.