Rakuten asking for zairyu card info

Tony
Veteran

Re: Rakuten asking for zairyu card info

Post by Tony »

I haven't received the email yet, or the notification on the webpage ... but I assume it's only a matter of time.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:57 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:49 am Yes, my message specifically stated you need to upload a picture.
Is that on the second screen of the process? I noped out after the first screen :lol:

Oh, I got that they wanted the expiry date of the card, but I don't understand why that is relevant. The period of stay is unlimited (as it says on the card). Not that I expect this kind of thing to make sense...
Maybe from their perspective they can't confirm that are you currently a PR holder without a valid card.
They know you need to always have a valid card to be a long term foreign resident.
Maybe their logic is... You have to "apply" to get a new valid card.
If you failed to receive a new valid card then maybe you lost your right to reside.

I'm aware this makes a mockery of "PR" but so does asking Permanent Residents to carry ID and blocking their right to return in a pandemic.. :lol:
"That guy"
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Tony wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:53 pm I haven't received the email yet, or the notification on the webpage ... but I assume it's only a matter of time.
You may want to check again. Mine got lost in a mail filter and I just realized I have it after thinking that I had been missed.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

I just now received that email (even though Rakuten has received pictures of my zairyu card several times in the past). I followed the procedure they outlined but don't know if they'll have follow-up questions.
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

beanhead wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:33 am
Tony wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:53 pm I haven't received the email yet, or the notification on the webpage ... but I assume it's only a matter of time.
You may want to check again. Mine got lost in a mail filter and I just realized I have it after thinking that I had been missed.
I checked through spam, but didn't see anything, if someone could post the subject line for the email, that could help people that want to search for it.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Tony wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:56 pm
I checked through spam, but didn't see anything, if someone could post the subject line for the email, that could help people that want to search for it.
Good idea:

【重要】外国籍のお客様は在留期間の登録が必要です

It is also in the notifications when you log in to your account with a PC. (phone, not sure)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

beanhead wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:19 pm
Tony wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:56 pm
Good idea:

【重要】外国籍のお客様は在留期間の登録が必要です

It is also in the notifications when you log in to your account with a PC. (phone, not sure)
The ratio is 1 important message for every 100 spam messages.

Set and forget investors would totally miss it in the barrage of garbage.

Thank you for posting that.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

TokyoWart wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:51 pm I just now received that email (even though Rakuten has received pictures of my zairyu card several times in the past). I followed the procedure they outlined but don't know if they'll have follow-up questions.
Same. Not sure about the quality of the photo I uploaded.
The notes said they need 2-3 days to confirm everything is 'in order'.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

There must have been some KYC crackdown because of the invoice system or something. I got the same thing from Paypal (my account was created in Japan).
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Got this email yesterday.
当社では、マネー・ローンダリング防止及びテロ資金供与対策の一環として、外国籍のお客様について、在留期間(満了日)の登録をお願いしております。
What kind of friggin message is that? “We are taking measures against money laundering and terrorism financing, so therefore with respect to our foreigner customers…”

Huh? Huh?

Causing hassles for foreigners is gonna help stop criminals money laundering and giving monies to terrorists?

Well, it’s not the first time I have seen messages like this, but it is pretty infuriating. I mean, they should just not even give a reason and just demand it.