Backpaying UK pension (Class 3)

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Backpaying UK pension (Class 3)

Post by RetireJapan »

Now to backpay as much as possible :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:01 am Now to backpay as much as possible :D
They included a letter about that and it seems I can backpay 12 years for about 140 pounds a year. Not bad!
prn

Post by prn »

Hi all,

Here's an update on my own attempts to back-pay UK state pension.

According to my NI records (viewable online after registering with HMRC) I have three (consecutive) years of full contributions plus another (non-consecutive) full year of contributions, giving me four years of full contributions all together.

However, after attempting to back-pay for one of the years I am apparently entitled to backpay for, and ringing up to check whether this payment has been properly allocated, I was informed that the payment has been refunded :-/

The guy on the phone was very confused because as far as he was concerned I was eligible to pay Class 3 and I paid the correct amount for an eligible year. He couldn't explain why the payment was rejected, but offered to get an explanation sent to me.

It seems I might not be eligible for Class 2 or Class 3, despite having 4 full years of NI contributions?

Will update here when I receive the explanation.

Cheers!

Paul
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

I'd keep at them, Paul. I have just spent over an hour phoning people up just top find out how to backpay class 2s. The service was awful - I spoke with at least 5 people and only the last one gave me any useful information. The first 4 gave contradictory information and they kept redirecting me to a number where I was then redirected back to them! Anyway, I have finally managed to send 12 years worth of back payments and was told it might take a few months to show up on my records. I fear the money might just get lost in the system and won't relax till I know where it is!

Everybody seems to have different information so maybe call them again and see if you can get a better explanation!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 am I'd keep at them, Paul. I have just spent over an hour phoning people up just top find out how to backpay class 2s. The service was awful - I spoke with at least 5 people and only the last one gave me any useful information. The first 4 gave contradictory information and they kept redirecting me to a number where I was then redirected back to them! Anyway, I have finally managed to send 12 years worth of back payments and was told it might take a few months to show up on my records. I fear the money might just get lost in the system and won't relax till I know where it is!

Everybody seems to have different information so maybe call them again and see if you can get a better explanation!
Once the payment goes through you will probably need to call them up and tell them what the payment was for... at least that's what happened to me ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Here is a little update to my situation from earlier in this thread...
Bushiman wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:17 am Well, I got my reply back from HMRC... And it is most bizarre...

For a start, I was born, raised, studied in the UK for 21 consecutive years...
And when I check my NICs online I get this:

I was born in the 1980s so it looks like I should meet both conditions fully!?

I guess I'll be giving HMRC a call ASAP to ask what the fffffffudge is going on....
I phoned HMRC on the 28th of December as they were open, and spoke to someone who was just as confused as I was. They confirmed all my information and could not explain why I had been denied. I asked to be put through to someone who could, i.e. someone in the vetting process. Apparently they can't do that as they don't accept calls in that department. I was told my only option was to write a letter. Great...
Anyway, I wrote a letter to the person my rejection letter came from detailing everything and I sent it by registered post so I'd have proof it was received. To follow up I waited a couple of weeks after delivery and called HMRC again just to confirm they had the letter and to see whether something was happening or not. I spoke to a guy called Alfie, who again couldn't understand why I was in the situation I'm in, BUT, he confirmed my letter had been received, read, put on record, and that I was "in for processing, so I still need to wait the 7 weeks".

So that's kind of good news! At least something is happening...

Positive No.2 is that applications received before April 2019 will not be affected by the planned changes this year even if the application processing takes place after April. Cool.

What a faff...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 am was told it might take a few months to show up on my records.
They told me two weeks so it may be worth you phoning sooner to see if it has been correctly allocated. You can also check online.
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

KyushuWoozy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 am
goodandbadjapan wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 am was told it might take a few months to show up on my records.
They told me two weeks so it may be worth you phoning sooner to see if it has been correctly allocated. You can also check online.
I checked online and not been allocated yet. I'll give them a few more weeks.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Quick update here - having backpaid 12 years worth of payments at the start of the year, nothing had changed on my records, so i called up the other day. It seems my money was in their system but just sort of floating around as far as I could tell. I asked if they could make sure it got allocated properly and as of today it has been. So, worth chasing up!

Now, if I keep paying my class 2s I'll get 38 years total payments which should get me a full UK pension. Hurray!
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:30 pm Quick update here - having backpaid 12 years worth of payments at the start of the year, nothing had changed on my records, so i called up the other day. It seems my money was in their system but just sort of floating around as far as I could tell. I asked if they could make sure it got allocated properly and as of today it has been. So, worth chasing up!
Same experience for me. They even called me here in Japan to help sort it out. I know others on this forum may have had a different experience, but personally speaking I have had excellent service throughout the whole process from HMRC.
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!