Rakuten asking for zairyu card info

Tony
Veteran

Re: Rakuten asking for zairyu card info

Post by Tony »

beanhead wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:19 pm
【重要】外国籍のお客様は在留期間の登録が必要です

It is also in the notifications when you log in to your account with a PC. (phone, not sure)
Thanks for that. Doesn't come up in my mail or notifications on the site, so I guess they're rolling it out slowly.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Tony wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:03 pm
【重要】外国籍のお客様は在留期間の登録が必要です

It is also in the notifications when you log in to your account with a PC. (phone, not sure)
Thanks for that. Doesn't come up in my mail or notifications on the site, so I guess they're rolling it out slowly.
Perhaps you already gave it to them so they don't need updated info?
I noticed Ben said that Monex asked him, but they didn't contact me. I am not sure but my account with them is quite new so it is possible that I gave them these details when I registered with them a couple of years ago.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

beanhead wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:12 am
Tony wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:03 pm
【重要】外国籍のお客様は在留期間の登録が必要です

Perhaps you already gave it to them so they don't need updated info?
I noticed Ben said that Monex asked him, but they didn't contact me. I am not sure but my account with them is quite new so it is possible that I gave them these details when I registered with them a couple of years ago.
I opened my accounts before they were asking for zairyu cards, so none of my brokers have that information.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

If Japan is going to take in more foreigners (and I think that’s pretty much a given) then it would be incredibly helpful for them to pass a law requiring all organizations to allow all customers to use their real names to open bank accounts, enroll in pension systems, use a credit card.

The amount of stress, hassle and wasted time for all involved is absolutely insane.

I survived many years without being forced to make up a katakana name, ironically it was NPI that finally forced me to do it. You can have bank account, credit card, buy a car and a house, have children etc without a made up name but NPI is where I finally lost the battle.

Clearly though it’s still a big issue for many people and it really need not be. Our names are pretty fundamental things and on this issue I feel Japan needs to move rather than foreigners moving to the Japanese system.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Deep Blue wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:24 am If Japan is going to take in more foreigners (and I think that’s pretty much a given) then it would be incredibly helpful for them to pass a law requiring all organizations to allow all customers to use their real names to open bank accounts, enroll in pension systems, use a credit card.
About half the motivation for me to naturalize is to fix the name thing once and for all :lol:

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

Registered the thing. Took about 2 mins.

Put in the card expiry date as mentioned for PR holders. So I didn't see any drawbacks there.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goran wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:10 am Registered the thing. Took about 2 mins.

Put in the card expiry date as mentioned for PR holders. So I didn't see any drawbacks there.
Only drawback is this new unnecessary procedure. Now they have an expiry date they'll be wanting it again at that time.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

I had to change my address recently. If I remember correctly that required zairyu card photograph.

But I didn't have to specifically mention the expiry date at that time. Hope it's not a big deal.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goran wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:45 pm I had to change my address recently. If I remember correctly that required zairyu card photograph.

But I didn't have to specifically mention the expiry date at that time. Hope it's not a big deal.
I'm sure it's fine. I'm just overly triggered by this stuff 😅

Also my account name is not the same as my zairyu card name, and I REALLY don't want to open that can of worms...

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:26 pm

Also my account name is not the same as my zairyu card name, and I REALLY don't want to open that can of worms...
One of my Japan experiences that will stay with me till the day I die was three hours arguing with Prestia what my name was (is). They told me is was one thing, I told them it was another (which coincidentally happened to match my passport, my zairyu card, my birth certificate etc etc)... the amount of teeth sucking, escalating to more senior staff, disappearing into a back room to discuss with managers, insistence that their systems couldn't possibly be wrong.... amazingly it did get fixed in the end (with a LOT of paperwork) but the memory of arguing what my name (unchanged since birth forty-odd years ago) is one of the defining Japan experiences.

FWIW they had transposed my first and middle names in their system, which caused some incoming transfers to be rejected. But convincing them their system was wrong was almost impossible.

I can understand why anyone would be reluctant to go through something similar, especially over the phone.