Rakuten asking for zairyu card info

beanhead
Sage

Re: Rakuten asking for zairyu card info

Post by beanhead »

In case anyone uses AEON Bank but doesn't read Japanese too well.
They sent out an email today about money laundering.
Not foreigner-specific, just asking customers to update their address info if necessary.

PSA over.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

After just sending my zairyu card info in a few days ago to Rakuten in response to their email I already received this confirmation (which I assume means they're fine with what was submitted)*

"お客様情報の変更手続きが完了しました。

・国籍/在留期間の変更

■登録内容の確認方法
お客様の登録内容は、以下の画面でご確認いただけます。
スマートフォンサイトにログイン後、「マイメニュー」→「お客様情報の設定・変更」→基本情報「お客様基本情報」"
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

I submitted to Rakuten today, but was wondering what they want me to put it the katakana for my name.
My ID card doesn’t include katakana, so I could input any arbitrary katakana and there is nothing for them to match against… (and this is supposed to help stop money laundering and terrorist financing).

Naturally, I just used my usual katakana… but it was strange.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:22 am
Also, the name on my Rakuten (and bank) accounts is NOT the same as the name on my zairyu card, and I predict if I give it to them they are going to mess everything up.
I got the dreaded email yesterday and I have the same name issue...
Updating the information via smartphone allowed me to upload more than one photo so I added my driving license that shows my alias (the simplified name I use for Rakuten). Fingers crossed this gets accepted!
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Not with Rakuten, but I happened to be in the process of opening a different account with another financial instruments dealer, and dealt with that today.

They wanted my MyNumber card, and because I was a foreigner, my Zairyu card (both sides), and they also asked for my bank account katakana name specifically.

The good points were
1) saying nothing about money laundering and terrorist financing in relation to their requirements
2) precisely stating what katakana name they wanted (my bank accounts one)

Now I am trying to remember if I have given Rakuten what they really wanted, but the worst that can happen is I have to communicate with them again when it comes time to get my money, if the systems reject it. Won’t be the first time! This other place I have been dealing with for like a decade were very polite when I encountered troubles with them, so I guess I must be a valued customer.
nanaya
Regular

Post by nanaya »

I just got mine today. I'm in the process of PR (8 months wait time and counting) and my current card is expiring in a few months so I think I'll wait a bit longer.

On semi unrelated note, a friend of mine whose left Japan but kept their bank account open got their account closed after being asked to submit the residence card several times (and not submitting it of course as they left Japan already).

It was still being kind of used (online) and had some balance in it when it's closed but they managed to get the remaining balance back when they visited Japan recently.

So if bank asks for those, maybe do give it eventually or risk getting the account closed ;)
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

Just got the email. What I find strange is that the website is specifically asking for 在留期間 ... which for a PR holder doesn't exist, but it doesn't let you input blank .... so hopefully they won't ask you to update when the card expires and they'll actually check that it's PR ... I'm not holding my breath though.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Tony wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:47 am Just got the email. What I find strange is that the website is specifically asking for 在留期間 ... which for a PR holder doesn't exist, but it doesn't let you input blank .... so hopefully they won't ask you to update when the card expires and they'll actually check that it's PR ... I'm not holding my breath though.
This is what I was writing about above: they are assuming that the period of stay is the duration of the zairyu card. Which means every time it expires they are going to ask for the new one.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:03 am
Tony wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:47 am Just got the email. What I find strange is that the website is specifically asking for 在留期間 ... which for a PR holder doesn't exist, but it doesn't let you input blank .... so hopefully they won't ask you to update when the card expires and they'll actually check that it's PR ... I'm not holding my breath though.
This is what I was writing about above: they are assuming that the period of stay is the duration of the zairyu card. Which means every time it expires they are going to ask for the new one.
In their FAQ about this process, they state that for PR, the expiry date of the card is to be put into the 在留期間。
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Bushiman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:41 pm
RetireJapan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:22 am
Also, the name on my Rakuten (and bank) accounts is NOT the same as the name on my zairyu card, and I predict if I give it to them they are going to mess everything up.
I got the dreaded email yesterday and I have the same name issue...
Updating the information via smartphone allowed me to upload more than one photo so I added my driving license that shows my alias (the simplified name I use for Rakuten). Fingers crossed this gets accepted!
Got confirmation last night that everything was fine and my details updated...
The Zairyu card and driver's license combo was sufficient.
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...