Retirement Allowances (taishokukin 退職金)

captainspoke
Sage

Re: Retirement Allowances (taishokukin 退職金)

Post by captainspoke »

JapHans wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:25 am...with the lump-sum you get this special tax treatment, indicated in this thread, but with the pension option, I think this cannot exist. ...
Correct. Tho that may depend how IDECO-like the pension option might be.

The other aspect is to consider with the lump sum is the returns you might make on it, such as 5%/yr, perhaps a little more. (minus any taxes on that, if in a taxable account)

At 60 you may have the option to continue working, eg some part time hours or contracted. You then may not need the pension option.
JapHans

Post by JapHans »

captainspoke wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:15 am
JapHans wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:25 am...with the lump-sum you get this special tax treatment, indicated in this thread, but with the pension option, I think this cannot exist. ...
Correct. Tho that may depend how IDECO-like the pension option might be.

The other aspect is to consider with the lump sum is the returns you might make on it, such as 5%/yr, perhaps a little more. (minus any taxes on that, if in a taxable account)

At 60 you may have the option to continue working, eg some part time hours or contracted. You then may not need the pension option.
Thanks, this confirms my thought.

I understand that receiving cash earlier could also generate a return on that money. Nobody knows, however, if that will happen.

Continuing to work, as a contract employee, with my current company is something I certainly don't want.
I've had enough of the corporate BS, but am still exploring my options to do some limited/flexible project work.
Anyway, my extensive spreadsheet tells me that I don't need cash upfront (lump-sum) and will have enough money to spend my twilight years well, but some interesting project activities could give me some additional purpose and a bit of extra money.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

I can decide to take either the lump-sum taishoku payment or have it put in a pension scheme that pays out over 10 years.
I don't know yet what the pension option is going to look like, but assume that the cumulative gross payment (over 10 years) will be higher than the lump-sum. However, I don't expect much here. The issue I assume to exist is that with the lump-sum you get this special tax treatment, indicated in this thread, but with the pension option, I think this cannot exist. Of course, payout spread over 10 years probably leads to a lower annual tax amount, but most likely not as low as with the special tax treatment of the lump-sum payment. Any thoughts on this, from a tax point of view?
This of course depends on how much you would get over the 10 years vs the lump sum but my suspicion is that the pension option does not result in much of an increase because those annuity-like calculations are based on risk-free interest rates and interest rates are exceptionally low in Japan. The tax treatment of the lump sum in Japan is also amazing, especially in comparison to the higher tax brackets here in Japan.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

TokyoWart wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:14 pm
I can decide to take either the lump-sum taishoku payment or have it put in a pension scheme that pays out over 10 years.
I don't know yet what the pension option is going to look like, but assume that the cumulative gross payment (over 10 years) will be higher than the lump-sum. However, I don't expect much here. The issue I assume to exist is that with the lump-sum you get this special tax treatment, indicated in this thread, but with the pension option, I think this cannot exist. Of course, payout spread over 10 years probably leads to a lower annual tax amount, but most likely not as low as with the special tax treatment of the lump-sum payment. Any thoughts on this, from a tax point of view?
This of course depends on how much you would get over the 10 years vs the lump sum but my suspicion is that the pension option does not result in much of an increase because those annuity-like calculations are based on risk-free interest rates and interest rates are exceptionally low in Japan. The tax treatment of the lump sum in Japan is also amazing, especially in comparison to the higher tax brackets here in Japan.
Take the lump sum at very low tax and funnel it in to NISA as quickly as possible so all future gains are completely Tax Free. Invest in Low Cost Global Equity Fund such as eMaxisSlim All World All Country Equity Fund

The remainder put in to a Tokutei Designated Account, invest in Low Cost Global Equity Fund such as eMaxisSlim All World All Country Equity Fund, and when you have NISA Allowance available, sell from the Tokutei Account, pay the tax and move into NISA and buy again so that all future gains will be Tax Free...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Aliyaaii
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Aliyaaii »

The employee rules are indeed clearly outlined, though locating the specific webpage was a bit time-consuming.
Hi guys
My name is Aliya Khan I am a new member of this site
Nrega Job Card List