Rakuten All Country & SP500 fund fees lower than MUFG ones

ivanpgs
Regular

Rakuten All Country & SP500 fund fees lower than MUFG ones

Post by ivanpgs »

Good morning,

As today is the first day to setup the New NISA tsumitate part in Rakuten Securities I connected to have a look and bumped into this page:

https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/info/ ... 0231027-06

Where Rakuten is offering their wrapper funds for All Country & SP500 with lower funds that MUFG ones. On top of that you can also get additional Rakuten Points percentage (not a lot, but better than nothing I guess).

楽天・オールカントリー株式 インデックス・ファンド
Fee: 0.0561% (from December 1st), Points awarded: 0.017% (from December 1st)

楽天・S&P500インデックス・ファンド
Fee: 0.077% (from December 1st), Points awarded: 0.028% (from December 1st)

Compared to the current MUFG funds:

eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー)
Fee: 0.05775%

eMAXIS Slim 米国株式(S&P500)
Fee: 0.09372%

What do you think about it? I was all in into the eMAXIS Slim All Country in all my tsumitates (in my 3 brokers, Rakuten, SBI and Money). I am wondering whether it is worth or not to change to the Rakuten wrapper funds in Rakuten Securities, as I will have my New NISA there. I know Rakuten can (and probably will) remove the points at any time (as it is doing with all the SPU services currently), and also I am aware that the fund net assets amount in Rakuten wrappers are pretty small as compared to MUFG ones (Rakuten All Country wrapper 12.74 億円 vs MUFG All Country 16286.80 億円), so most probably it will be not easy to compete in the long term with their fees.

Any thoughts?
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Rakuten All Country & SP500 fund fees lower than MUFG ones

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

1. Edit apparently it is New Nisa Compatible?

2. MUFJ has a stated policy to match the real fees of competitor index funds. They have proven this many times.

3. MUFJ has done a great job with tracking, they have great inflows and large holdings.

4. MUFJ is not going anywhere. Their Emaxis Slim trackers are #1 in most categories.
Last edited by Tsumitate Wrestler on Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Huh, I didn't know about these funds.

It's interesting that they are lowering the fees from 1 December, because according to the prospectus the funds were only established on 27 October.
nanaya
Regular

Post by nanaya »

Just for "diversity" I put half of my next year to it and it can use tsumitate portion

Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

nanaya wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:51 am Just for "diversity" I put half of my next year to it and it can use tsumitate portion

You mentioned doing Rakuten cash or card, but you selected your securities account here. Was that on purpose, or perhaps a mistake?
nanaya
Regular

Post by nanaya »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:14 am You mentioned doing Rakuten cash or card, but you selected your securities account here. Was that on purpose, or perhaps a mistake?
I still can't link my card (non matching name) so the other half is securities account (the rest is rakuten cash)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

nanaya wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:21 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:14 am You mentioned doing Rakuten cash or card, but you selected your securities account here. Was that on purpose, or perhaps a mistake?
I still can't link my card (non matching name) so the other half is securities account (the rest is rakuten cash)
A tragic tale as old as this site sadly. I called Rakuten card (When I had a gold card, and therefore better customer service) in English 3 years ago. They called Rakuten Shoken, and sorted it out between the two sides.

It seems I was lucky?

Generic 3 white person names. I.E -> Smith Steve Mcstevenson
nanaya
Regular

Post by nanaya »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:24 am A tragic tale as old as this site sadly. I called Rakuten card (When I had a gold card, and therefore better customer service) in English 3 years ago. They called Rakuten Shoken, and sorted it out between the two sides.

It seems I was lucky?

Generic 3 white person names. I.E -> Smith Steve Mcstevenson
Yeah I called rakuten card earlier today and they told me to call rakuten securities instead because the rakuten card side already have the name matching 在留カード (which has it reversed due to one name field passport etc) whereas it's reversed for the rakuten securities (although technically correct). I'll try contacting rakuten securities sometime later.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

ivanpgs wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:57 am Good morning,

As today is the first day to setup the New NISA tsumitate part in Rakuten Securities I connected to have a look and bumped into this page:

https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/info/ ... 0231027-06

Where Rakuten is offering their wrapper funds for All Country & SP500 with lower funds that MUFG ones. On top of that you can also get additional Rakuten Points percentage (not a lot, but better than nothing I guess).

楽天・オールカントリー株式 インデックス・ファンド
Fee: 0.0561% (from December 1st), Points awarded: 0.017% (from December 1st)

楽天・S&P500インデックス・ファンド
Fee: 0.077% (from December 1st), Points awarded: 0.028% (from December 1st)

Compared to the current MUFG funds:

eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー)
Fee: 0.05775%

eMAXIS Slim 米国株式(S&P500)
Fee: 0.09372%

What do you think about it? I was all in into the eMAXIS Slim All Country in all my tsumitates (in my 3 brokers, Rakuten, SBI and Money). I am wondering whether it is worth or not to change to the Rakuten wrapper funds in Rakuten Securities, as I will have my New NISA there. I know Rakuten can (and probably will) remove the points at any time (as it is doing with all the SPU services currently), and also I am aware that the fund net assets amount in Rakuten wrappers are pretty small as compared to MUFG ones (Rakuten All Country wrapper 12.74 億円 vs MUFG All Country 16286.80 億円), so most probably it will be not easy to compete in the long term with their fees.

Any thoughts?
Shintaro Money has covered this if you are interested, as has Random Walker. These are the two big bloggers I know of who report on index fund investing, points systems and Boglehead esk things.

https://shintaro-money.com/rakuten-acwi-launch/
https://randomwalker.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-5010.html

Generally, the bias towards MUFG is strong here as they communicate really well to their customers, have kept their promises, and show strong results that match the index well.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

MUFG is not also liable to pull the rug out from under you as Rakuten has shown a willingness to do with all their other services after they get enough users to sign up. Yes, I'm bitter and yes I know Rakuten Securities is basically a Mizuho subsidiary and not Rakuten anymore, but its still Mickey running the show for now.