Absolute beginner question RE Nissay DC fund allocation

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
goran
Veteran

Re: Absolute beginner question RE Nissay DC fund allocation

Post by goran »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:08 am
I would recommend not trying to outperform a global index. Bonds are also not necessarily a "safe and neutral" choice for yen-based investors due to currency risk.

I would suggest a portfolio heavily biased toward developing country stocks.
Developing country = emerging country, correct?

I am fairly new to investment. One of the reasons, for my allocation choices of DC was also psychological. What I mean is I was hesitant to hold similar/same asset in NISA amd DC. (and when trying to not doing this, I may have exposed myself to higher risk)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

goran wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:04 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:08 am
I would recommend not trying to outperform a global index. Bonds are also not necessarily a "safe and neutral" choice for yen-based investors due to currency risk.

I would suggest a portfolio heavily biased toward developing country stocks.
Developing country = emerging country, correct?

I am fairly new to investment. One of the reasons, for my allocation choices of DC was also psychological. What I mean is I was hesitant to hold similar/same asset in NISA amd DC. (and when trying to not doing this, I may have exposed myself to higher risk)
Embarrassing typo.
I would suggest a portfolio heavily biased toward developed country stocks.
david

Post by david »

Thanks everyone for their advice! I am sure I will have follow up questions but I will look into re allocating my DC pension
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

goran wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:51 am
Thank you for pointing it out.
I wanted something closer to all country, at first. But then around the time I did this allocation, I got into a rabbit hole of how the coming decades will see the world economy moving towards South East Asia with its booming young economy and skimmed through them. And I was like "hmmm.. I won't need (have access) to this money until 30 years from now and my NISA is filled with all country, so why not?"
I did something similar with my iDeCo at first. Now I switched it to a fairly simple 10% developing, 90% developed. Sometimes we over-think things.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.