Rakuten Gold Card: Time to Switch?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Kanto
Veteran

Re: Rakuten Gold Card: Time to Switch?

Post by Kanto »

I just requested a refund and downgraded my card. Very simple procedure online, it took 2 minutes.

I did not go with Premium, as I already have an Amazon Gold Card and my wife and I prefer Amazon.

The Rakuten card is mainly for R-points, Edy and Tsumitate point farming.
Yokohama
Regular

Post by Yokohama »

If you upgrade to premium, do you keep the same credit card number or do you get a new number, and you will need to update all automatic payments you were paying with you previous credit card?
taneandy
Regular

Post by taneandy »

The card number and expiry date change when you are issued a new card.

Payments to most utility providers are updated automatically to the new number, but you will probably have to set up any other payments again.
The bottom of the following link gives a list of companies for which payments should be updated to the new card number automatically.
https://www.rakuten-card.co.jp/support/ ... -updating/
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Rakuten recently announced they are nerfing the Premium Card too.

Changes:
Rakuten Ichiba points down from 5x to 3x.
Rakuten Ichiba Points cap down from 15k to 5k.
Priority pass down from unlimited usages to 5x a year.

Not changed: Annual 11k fee.

I signed up during a free campaign last year. I hate these bait and switch tactics so decided to downgrade.
I might switch to another card entirely for my main card if they also lower the credit limit as threatened. Their loss, I guess.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

You can also ask for a refund of your annual fee. I'm actively investigating ways to leave the Rakuten ecosystem. The card nerf is a bridge too far for me.
AntarcticFinance
Regular

Post by AntarcticFinance »

adamu wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:04 pm
I might switch to another card entirely for my main card if they also lower the credit limit as threatened. Their loss, I guess.
They are also reducing your credit limit due to these changes? That's surprising.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

AntarcticFinance wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:07 pm
They are also reducing your credit limit due to these changes? That's surprising.
I'm downgrading the card. The advertised max credit limit for the premium card is higher than for the regular card (3M vs 1M). The downgrade guide mentions the lower level card has a lower advertised max limit so I assume downgrading will result in the limit being lowered. However, they have given me a limit higher than the advertised maximum for the regular card when I had that, so it seems to be decided on a case by case basis.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

adamu wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:21 am
I'm downgrading the card. The advertised max credit limit for the premium card is higher than for the regular card (3M vs 1M). The downgrade guide mentions the lower level card has a lower advertised max limit so I assume downgrading will result in the limit being lowered. However, they have given me a limit higher than the advertised maximum for the regular card when I had that, so it seems to be decided on a case by case basis.
Rakuten seems to prefer you to open up a second "regular" card instead of increasing the limit on a single card. I would find it super annoying to have two Rakuten cards.

Most people get a "Gold" level card for travel reasons, (Lounges and higher limits while abroad). With the low yen, an emergency trip to an American hospital might be too much for a bog-standard card.

I would echo what others have said in this forum. A Gold NL from SMBC (5000 yen a year/free after 1million/Visa touch) is a good card for those who want something higher limit while traveling.

No priority pass, that is a luxury feature in my opinion.
AntarcticFinance
Regular

Post by AntarcticFinance »

adamu wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:21 am
Right makes sense. I have the basic Rakuten card and they increased my credit limit to ¥2 million after a year of use with about ¥500k a month in purchases. When I recently applied for and received Rakuten's Premium card it shares that original limit.