10 years old! How has RetireJapan helped you?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
tagawa
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

10 years old! How has RetireJapan helped you?

Post by tagawa »

As mentioned in the latest blog post, RetireJapan is 10 years old today! 🎉

As you know, RetireJapan is the brainchild of one person – Ben-san. His work has resulted in over 900 blog posts, nearly 150 YouTube videos, and this community with over 30,000 posts. Along with congratulations, I thought this anniversary is a good opportunity to make Ben aware of the huge impact he's had.

Who'll join me in sharing success stories, examples of how RetireJapan has helped us?

Personally I first heard about RetireJapan at an event in Meguro that I happened to walk past. My eyes were opened to government schemes (available even to us non-Japanese! :o ) for improving my finances. But could I trust this guy? Was he genuinely just trying to help people like me? Why had no-one told me about these before?

Turns out that event 7 years ago was a turning point for my family. I soon opened NISA and iDeCo accounts, and recently took out life insurance (the good-value sort) on Ben's recommendation. I've gone from head-in-the-sand to having a healthly-looking retirement ahead because of him. Bonus: Darling wife is very happy!

So thank you Ben, for a decade of help and advice. Your legacy will last for many more…
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Re: 10 years old! How has RetireJapan helped you?

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I discovered Retire Japan quite early in its creation, but at the perfect time for me. I'd been fretting about the future because I was unaware of class 2 UK payments at that time and was sure I would have virtually no pension available to me. A friend who lived abroad was always trying to get me into investing, but I just thought it looked so hard to do in Japan. I ended up with one of those awful offshore things, which my friend gently tried to tell me probably isn't the best idea. Through Retire Japan I discovered the book Millionaire Teacher and after reading that I decided I would do what I had to to figure out how to invest in Japan. Luckily this place made all of that much, much easier. Now I am on the cusp of financial independence and I very much doubt I would be anywhere near where I am now were it not for Ben and this site. I've said it before, but I'll say it again - 'Thanks Ben!'
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Not quite sure what sparked my interest back in 2018, but I stumbled upon the RetireJapan guides for iDeCo and NISA, and then the forum. Within probably a month of reading, asking questions, getting lots of invaluable information, I had everything either set up or paperwork was pending approval. Since then I've helped my wife with her finances, and 2 friends living here... Plus I'll plug the site to anyone who'll listen...
Huge thanks to RetireJapan!
Last edited by Bushiman on Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Two of the three things Ben has helped me with most came from before he started RetireJapan:

1. His recommendation of the book "Millionaire Teacher" in his teaching blog.

2. His recommendation of the website "Mr. Money Mustache" also in his teaching blog.

This book and this website were life-changing for me.

The third thing was after he started RetireJapan:

3. His recommendation of using iDeCo (then called J401K) to save, invest and reduce income tax.

Even my Japanese wife didn't know about this, and it was especially useful for us as we were self-employed and could contribute the full amount.

So thanks again Ben. I owe you a lot.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

1. I started trading 4ish years ago. I did well on the first meme stock wave but analyzed my trades and realized that momentum trading was an insane strategy.

2. I found out through googling that investing was basically "solved" and I became a Boglehead.

3. I realized I could not use a TFSA or RRSP (Canadian taxed advantaged accounts) from abroad, and IBKR said they did not want me using IBKR as a non-Canadian resident. Also, the non-resident capital gains tax was 25%!

4. Googling: Retirement Japan brought me here, and it has been iDeco, Nisa, Emaxis Slim , and credit card tsumitate paradise ever since.

5. Our family has 4 Nisas, and 2 iDecos and we feel very set!

Thank you Ben.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

The information and advice about voluntary NI contributions has been priceless.
This community also convinced me to take the plunge on iDeCo, rather than just looking at NISA.
Thank you for everything you do, Ben.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Had to look--I joined the forums in august of 2017. So that's how long I've been here.

I like the forums best. The weekly reading lists are also a nice alternative to my usual browsing.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

The financial stuff is useful, gave me a better understanding of the tax advantaged way of investing as a resident of Japan.
Much more than that though, I appreciate the forum as a safe space to ask/discuss any relevant stuff, without the usual judgemental/critical voices. It's simply a pleasant place to interact and the boss has to get the credit for that.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

Been in Japan for a while now and have made all the mistakes, used 2-3 different financial advisors in Tokyo , invested in off-shore funds, and did a Yen loan for a UK property.... All to my financial detriment....

I did a private coaching session with Ben about 6 years ago, he set me up with IDECO and Nisa investing in low cost funds, this was the best money I have ever spent and have not looked back. Thanks!! Ben much appreciated!!
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

concerned wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:11 am Been in Japan for a while now and have made all the mistakes, used 2-3 different financial advisors in Tokyo , invested in off-shore funds, and did a Yen loan for a UK property.... All to my financial detriment....

I did a private coaching session with Ben about 6 years ago, he set me up with IDECO and Nisa investing in low cost funds, this was the best money I have ever spent and have not looked back. Thanks!! Ben much appreciated!!
I think this short story would be incredibly informative to others, and it would make a nice long-form article. If you write yourself, you should throw it up on Medium or the like!

The schadenfreude will enthrall others, and some may come away informed!