Landlord and Instructor visa

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
Deebee

Landlord and Instructor visa

Post by Deebee »

Hello guys, recently Ive been thinking of becoming a Landlord here in Japan. My visa is Instructor however. Would it be legal to become a landlord based on my visa status, or it would be best to apply for permission from Immigration to do such activity ?
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: Landlord and Instructor visa

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

If you are paying cash you won't have any problems, if you want to take out a buy to let loan PR is probably best, but they can only say no.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Deebee wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:01 am Hello guys, recently Ive been thinking of becoming a Landlord here in Japan. My visa is Instructor however. Would it be legal to become a landlord based on my visa status, or it would be best to apply for permission from Immigration to do such activity ?
I don't think investing in real estate is considered 'work' by Japanese immigration unless you set up a company and do it as your main activity. Doing it on the side while working within the scope of the Instructor visa should be fine.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deebee

Post by Deebee »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:25 am
Deebee wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:01 am Hello guys, recently Ive been thinking of becoming a Landlord here in Japan. My visa is Instructor however. Would it be legal to become a landlord based on my visa status, or it would be best to apply for permission from Immigration to do such activity ?
I don't think investing in real estate is considered 'work' by Japanese immigration unless you set up a company and do it as your main activity. Doing it on the side while working within the scope of the Instructor visa should be fine.
Ahh, I see, noted, thanks.
Deebee

Post by Deebee »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:25 am If you are paying cash you won't have any problems, if you want to take out a buy to let loan PR is probably best, but they can only say no.
Oh ok, got it! Thanks.