Submited my zairyu card but Rakuten Bank isn't happy...

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
Yossarian
Regular

Submited my zairyu card but Rakuten Bank isn't happy...

Post by Yossarian »

I submitted my zairyu card like a good little resident, but Rakuten Bank isn't happy that one of the letters in my name has started to rub off. Rakuten Sec (and SMBC, and SBI Sec) had no problems with it but I guess I shouldn't be surprised Rakuten is inconsistent.

Problem is, I don't need to renew my card until 2029 so would rather not go to immigration for a new card like Rakuten requested. When they say "口座のご利用を制限させていただきます" what limitations are they actually talking about?

Am I gonna have to bite the bullet and visit immigration? Or is it safe to ignore Rakuten Bank?
Moneymatters
Veteran

Re: Submited my zairyu card but Rakuten Bank isn't happy...

Post by Moneymatters »

Yossarian wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:41 am I submitted my zairyu card like a good little resident, but Rakuten Bank isn't happy that one of the letters in my name has started to rub off. Rakuten Sec (and SMBC, and SBI Sec) had no problems with it but I guess I shouldn't be surprised Rakuten is inconsistent.

Problem is, I don't need to renew my card until 2029 so would rather not go to immigration for a new card like Rakuten requested. When they say "口座のご利用を制限させていただきます" what limitations are they actually talking about?

Am I gonna have to bite the bullet and visit immigration? Or is it safe to ignore Rakuten Bank?
No experience but I'd assume they will lock your account if they can.

I renewed the card recently when Rakuten decided it wasn't pristine enough for their purposes.
When I went for a replacement the immigration office in Shinagawa could NOT find a defect with it.
Incredulously, the replacement card, even though it lives in it's own little plastic sheath, ALREADY has some ink rubbed off.
I say "ink" but we all know they use something much less permanent..
At least so far it's just manifesting as black flecks on my face. (I walk around with a marker pen so I can quickly draw them on if stopped by the Police)..

If you do go to immigration, can you ask if we can laminate the front of our cards as they clearly don't bother? :lol:
"That guy"
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

When I first opened my Rakuten account they were unhappy with how faded my zairyu card was and I was forced to spend the 8 hours needed at Shinawaga at the time get a new one.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Gosh, maybe (as an american) having a broker in the US is not so bad after all...

:roll: ;)
Yossarian
Regular

Post by Yossarian »

Moneymatters wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:12 am
I renewed the card recently when Rakuten decided it wasn't pristine enough for their purposes.
When I went for a replacement the immigration office in Shinagawa could NOT find a defect with it.
Yes, similar experience at Fukuoka branch. The guy was surprised I wanted a new one.

Either way, Rakuten Bank froze my account as I missed my deadline. Luckily all my outgoings are at the end of the month. Sent the new Zairyu card on Monday so waiting for them to reopen it.
MajesticSoup
Regular

Post by MajesticSoup »

Going through this with Rakuten card right now. If they force me to renew my residence card, I’m probably just gonna search for a new credit card…
Yossarian
Regular

Post by Yossarian »

MajesticSoup wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:04 pm Going through this with Rakuten card right now. If they force me to renew my residence card, I’m probably just gonna search for a new credit card…
Quite interesting that Rakuten were able to force me to renew. If all my automatic payments didn't come out of that account, I'd have closed it.