Moving money into a Rakuten junior NISA account

Inaka4Life

Moving money into a Rakuten junior NISA account

Post by Inaka4Life »

I'm sure this is an easy question so sorry...

I recently set up a junior NISA account for my kids and added money to the Rakuten account through bank transfer but when I try to buy mutual funds, it seems that I cannot select the option to buy from the junior NISA account on the purchase screen. Does the money in the account need to be moved over to the junior NISA account before it is available to be used to make purchases? I can't for the life of me figure out how to move the funds into that account...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Moving money into a Rakuten junior NISA account

Post by RetireJapan »

Yes, you need to move the money into Junior NISA and then buy things. You may be too late this close to the end of business.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:24 am You may be too late this close to the end of business.
Too late to purchase funds (eMaxis Slim etc), definitely.
There may be enough time to purchase ETFs or stocks. I missed the deadline for buying funds for my child last year and bought a leveraged Nikkei 225 ETF.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Inaka4Life

Post by Inaka4Life »

Thanks for the replies. Seems that I'm too late since they aren't even letting me transfer the funds to the Junior NISA account. Oh well, guess I'll just use the taxable account...