Simple Q&A - NISA

putafeche
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by putafeche »

adamu wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:20 am
putafeche wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:06 am 1-3 million hiding under our mattress
I guess it depends on the performance of the mattress.
:lol:
Gotta love traditional investing.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Sometimes the old ways are the best. I expect with actually having to "PAY" to put coins into the banks and post office this is probably the best way. I've got bottles filled with coins, that have just sat there for years and years.I come home and empty my pockets into them. It's probably becoming a liability now. :lol: :lol: Ironically it seems in these tough times, even people in the UK are switching back to cash and away from pay apps/cards. Seeing it leave your hands can be psychologically painful, and yet a powerful way to save.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Bubblegun wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:06 pm
Sometimes the old ways are the best. I expect with actually having to "PAY" to put coins into the banks and post office this is probably the best way. I've got bottles filled with coins, that have just sat there for years and years.I come home and empty my pockets into them. It's probably becoming a liability now. :lol: :lol: Ironically it seems in these tough times, even people in the UK are switching back to cash and away from pay apps/cards. Seeing it leave your hands can be psychologically painful, and yet a powerful way to save.
While that’s true, isn’t that how millions of yen was lost forever during the tsunami?
Obviously if you live in an area with minimal natural disaster risk, go for it. But in Japan, anything could happen at any time. I would worry about stashing massive amounts of cash anywhere for prolonged periods of time.
I keep a jam jar of 1 yen coins, and a tin of a few stray man notes just for cash emergencies (as usually pay everything on card or emoney systems). But that’s all.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

KCLenny wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:23 pm a tin of a few stray man notes just for cash emergencies
Keep some thousands in there too. After 3-11, while the power was out, it was cash only and hard to get change ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:54 pm
KCLenny wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:23 pm a tin of a few stray man notes just for cash emergencies
Keep some thousands in there too. After 3-11, while the power was out, it was cash only and hard to get change ;)
That’s true. I do actually have a few as of this month so covered there.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

KCLenny wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:52 am
RetireJapan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:54 pm
That’s true. I do actually have a few as of this month so covered there.
You might want to get the new ones in July 💴

https://www.npb.go.jp/en/news/20220114_ ... index.html
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Will do.
RetireJapan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:54 pm Keep some thousands in there too. After 3-11, while the power was out, it was cash only and hard to get change ;)
Weird coincidence given the ishikawa earthquake yesterday. Felt it here in Kyoto. Longest earthquake I’ve felt!