National Insurance: Neglecting payments and how to turn it around

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: National Insurance: Neglecting payments and how to turn it around

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

beanhead wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:59 am
volatileresolve wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:49 am
I hadn't called or written to HMRC, but would have done today if the contributions hadn't gone through. I have to say, my retirement already looks way better now. Thanks to everyone who helped out and to our host for setting up this forum!
Isn't it a brilliant feeling to see that record of what you are entitled to?
I just got a letter from HMRC today, confirming that they have fixed the mistake they made on my account.

Whatever happens to that UK state pension in the future, life will be easier with it than without.
In an ideal world, my Japanese pension (kosei salaryman version) and UK pension could take care of most of our costs in retirement. A very nice situation.

Thanks to Ben, and whoever dragged him kicking and screaming into looking into voluntary NICs a few years ago. :D
Can I take credit for getting Ben onto the Voluntary NICS, which he gave to me on one of his Retire Japan Monday posts about five or six years ago. To return the favour to Ben, I eventually went kicking and screaming down to the ward office and applied to rejoin the Japanese state pension, which has allowed me to really pension up with Ideco and the small business pension.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:14 am Can I take credit for getting Ben onto the Voluntary NICS, which he gave to me on one of his Retire Japan Monday posts about five or six years ago. To return the favour to Ben, I eventually went kicking and screaming down to the ward office and applied to rejoin the Japanese state pension, which has allowed me to really pension up with Ideco and the small business pension.
Credit = granted 😎
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
volatileresolve
Regular

Post by volatileresolve »

beanhead wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:59 am
volatileresolve wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:49 am
I hadn't called or written to HMRC, but would have done today if the contributions hadn't gone through. I have to say, my retirement already looks way better now. Thanks to everyone who helped out and to our host for setting up this forum!
Isn't it a brilliant feeling to see that record of what you are entitled to?
I just got a letter from HMRC today, confirming that they have fixed the mistake they made on my account.

Whatever happens to that UK state pension in the future, life will be easier with it than without.
In an ideal world, my Japanese pension (kosei salaryman version) and UK pension could take care of most of our costs in retirement. A very nice situation.

Thanks to Ben, and whoever dragged him kicking and screaming into looking into voluntary NICs a few years ago. :D
It certainly is. Especially after the long wait for the paperwork to clear and the Class 2 payments to be agreed. Then, I think Ben describes it well, how you send a huge chunk of money into the ether and have no idea if is going to be counted and deposited in the right place... :o