£10k- how to invest

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Re: £10k- how to invest

Post by Deep Blue »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:42 am
Deep Blue wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:05 am I locked some GBP away for two years at 5.5% interest with Lloyds bank last month.
Is this available to non-residents? I am with Lloyds and was researching this and they said you had to be a resident.
It was available to non-residents too. However I just checked and the terms & conditions have changed - the interest rate is now 4.2% and it has a line about being resident in the UK that was not there before.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Deep Blue wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:05 am I locked some GBP away for two years at 5.5% interest with Lloyds bank last month.
Is this available to non-residents? I am with Lloyds and was researching this and they said you had to be a resident.
I wish I could set up a Premium Bonds account as a non-resident, but they won't let me.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:07 am
I wish I could set up a Premium Bonds account as a non-resident, but they won't let me.
Are you sure about that? I heard that premium bonds are still OK for non-residents.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:13 pm
Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:07 am

Are you sure about that? I heard that premium bonds are still OK for non-residents.
If you can send me a link alluding to that, please do!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:25 am Yeah, tried online.
Okay, I will give the number a call and see what they say.
Certified proof of address in English sounds like a major pain in the backside, though....
Thanks!
Did you phone them? And did they specifically tell you that Japan residents can't apply? If so, this is a disturbing development that will affect some British expats on this forum.

Or maybe you don't have a UK bank account? This would be another reason why you can't apply.

Other than that, I see no reason why you can't apply. It will be onerous yes, because you'll have to do it the old way (not online) and probably have to show them a document with your Japanese address in English. But not impossible.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Regarding premium bonds, NS&I states:
If you live outside the UK, please check if local regulations let you hold Premium Bonds. For example, the US has strict gaming and lottery laws which mean that it might not be possible or practical to hold Premium Bonds while in the US.

If you're allowed to hold them, you'll need to apply first by post. Once your holding has been set up, you can register for our online and phone service.
https://www.nsandi.com/help/join-nsandi ... outside-uk
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

You can also open regular savings accounts with NS&I if premium bonds aren’t your thing.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

northSaver wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:56 am
Roger Van Zant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:25 am Yeah, tried online.
Okay, I will give the number a call and see what they say.
Certified proof of address in English sounds like a major pain in the backside, though....
Thanks!
Did you phone them? And did they specifically tell you that Japan residents can't apply? If so, this is a disturbing development that will affect some British expats on this forum.

Or maybe you don't have a UK bank account? This would be another reason why you can't apply.

Other than that, I see no reason why you can't apply. It will be onerous yes, because you'll have to do it the old way (not online) and probably have to show them a document with your Japanese address in English. But not impossible.
I still have my NatWest bank account, from which I pay my Class 2 NI contributions each month.
I will try to give them a call? Is there a special number I need to call since I am calling from outside the UK?
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓