Life in Japan

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
Popochi
Regular

Life in Japan

Post by Popochi »

I'm sorry if I posted on a wrong thread or if this is not allowed.

Hello guys I have joined this forum more than a year ago and it helped me a lot. So thank you guys and keep rocking. I now have around 500k yen in tsumitate. :D

I'm a regular company employee working for almost 2 years now with maybe the lowest tiered salary. I'm currently living in Miyazaki and my rent is around 20% of my salary and I'm finally moving maybe next month to Chiba, by then my rent would be around 25% of my salary. I know it's kind of pricey but QOL would probably drop if I lower the rent too much.

Salary around 3m a year. Rent now is 45k. Rent in Chiba would be 54k.

We're probably staying in Japan for 15-25 years depends on our situation. With these being said do I just continue to rent? Or do I entertain the thought of buying a house or a mansion?

P. S. I have also researched about the moving companies and found nittsu and kuroneko to be cheaper than the others. If you have any experience on this let me know, if you don't just ignore this one.

Thank you.
Last edited by Popochi on Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Life in Japan

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Popochi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:50 am I'm sorry if I posted on a wrong thread or if this is not allowed.

Hello guys I have joined this forum more than a year ago and it helped me a lot. So thank you guys and keep rocking. I now have around 500k yen in tsumitate. :D

I'm a regular company employee working for almost 2 years now with maybe the lowest tiered salary. I'm currently living in Miyazaki and my rent is around 20% of my salary and I'm finally moving maybe next month to Chiba, by then my rent would be around 25% of my salary. I know it's kind of pricey but QOL would probably drop if I lower the rent too much.

We're probably staying in Japan for 15-25 years depends on our situation. With these being said do I just continue to rent? Or do I entertain the thought of buying a house or a mansion?

P. S. I have also researched about the moving companies and found nittsu and kuroneko to be cheaper than the others. If you have any experience on this let me know, if you don't just ignore this one.

Thank you.
My take: If you are not planning to retire in Japan, do not buy a house here.

Without some hard numbers on salary/rent I do not think we can provide much more nuance.
Popochi
Regular

Post by Popochi »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:09 am
Popochi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:50 am I'm sorry if I posted on a wrong thread or if this is not allowed.

Thank you.

Without some hard numbers on salary/rent I do not think we can provide much more nuance.
Sorry about that edited the post. Salary is around 3m a year. Rent now is 45k and in Chiba would be around 55k.

Thank you
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Popochi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:30 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:09 am

Thank you.

Sorry about that edited the post. Salary is around 3m a year. Rent now is 45k and in Chiba would be around 55k.

Thank you
3m a year after tax, or before? Definitely do not buy. Focus on acquiring a higher-paying position.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:40 pm
3m a year after tax, or before? Definitely do not buy. Focus on acquiring a higher-paying position.
Cost of living in general will probably be higher in Chiba, so yes definitely focus on getting something that is not minimum-wage, which is what 3M is.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Ax6isB
Veteran

Post by Ax6isB »

For our situation, buying a place accelerated our financial independence plans dramatically. We moved here with a pet and ended up paying a lot in rent to accommodate the pet. When we researched buying an apartment, we found while we’d take on low interest debt, our monthly costs for lodging dropped by over 50% allowing us to save more/pay off mortgage. So for us, it made a lot sense as the interest rates are so low.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Home Loan Pay Down - Don't Do It...

Ax6isB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:14 am For our situation, buying a place accelerated our financial independence plans dramatically. We moved here with a pet and ended up paying a lot in rent to accommodate the pet. When we researched buying an apartment, we found while we’d take on low interest debt, our monthly costs for lodging dropped by over 50% allowing us to save more/pay off mortgage. So for us, it made a lot sense as the interest rates are so low.
Save more, but don't pay off mortgage, as the interest rate is so low...
Invest that money in something that yields a higher return. See here:

https://www.retirejapan.com/forum/viewt ... ief#p34083

If you pay down your loan:

1. You're paying yourself a return on that money equal to the interest rate on your loan - 0.85% - Well it's marginally better than a Japanese Bank Deposit... on a Depreciating Asset in Japan...

2. The outstanding balance is covered by Life Insurance - if you use your money to pay down the loan, and you die, your family will have the house free and clear, but if you put the money into NISA and you die, your family will have the house free and clear AND your NISA Portfolio.

3. If you fall on hard times, the bank will not give you credit for having payed down the loan faster in the past... They will still demand payment, but if you put the money into NISA, in the worst case you will be able to liquidate the NISA to pay the loan payments...

4. If you are receiving the Mortgage Tax Relief on the Outstanding Balance of the Home Loan, probably for the first 10 years, you receive more tax relief if the balance is higher... If you pay down the loan, the outstanding balance goes down, and so the Mortgage Tax Relief based on the outstanding balance deduction goes down...

Don't listen to Dave Ramsey! Not for Home Loan, especially not in Japan @ 0.85% !
Do listen to Dave Ramsey on paying down other High Interest Consumer Debt!

Then,

1. If you have any taxable income:
Open an Individual Defined Contribution Pension Plan - iDECO, (self, wife, eligible dependents over 18) and pay in the maximum you can.
The maximum amount you can pay in will depend on other Pension schemes you are contributing to Tax Free, but you don't have to contribute to the max if you don't want to, or can't afford to.

For company employee, max Y23,000 per month
For Self-Employed, Unemployed, House-Spouse, max Y68,000 per month
For Shigaku Kyousai member, max Y12,000 per month (to increase to Y20,000 per month later this year)

An iDECO Provider can check for you the maximum amount of tax free contributions you would be entitled to make.

These Contributions are Tax Free, but the disbursements will be taxable (at a low tax rate) in Retirement. Tax Free on the way in, taxable on the way out (at a low tax rate).

You will pay the monthly contribution, so if you pay Y23,000 per month you will have paid Y276,000 in one full year. You will then get the Tax Deduction on these contributions (And probably on the Home Loan Payments probably for 10 years...), so you will save the Taxes on this money; Your Marginal Rate of Income Tax and Reconstruction Tax,
(Depending on Tax Band.... 5.105%, 10.21%, 20.42%, 23.483%, 33.693%, 40.84%, or 45.945%... if the contributions fall within a single band...)
and you will get that amount as a Tax Refund in your Year-End Adjustment - Nenmatsu Chosei, or when you file your Tax Return - Kakutei Shinkoku.
Not only that, but you will also see a reduction in the following year in your Residents' Taxes of 10% of the total deductions and the Income-based portion of your Health Insurance Premiums, also maybe about another 10% of the amount of the total deductions...

Check the National Health Insurance - Kokumin Kenko Hoken information for the City or Ward where you live.

2. Open a Nihon Individual Savings Account - NISA Account
So, you should sweep the Tax Refund and another 20% of the Deductions for the Residents' Tax and Health Insurance savings (that are actually now being paid by the government through tax deductions) into a NISA.
NISA is Post Tax Income going in (but in this case the swept funds are all tax free ;-) ), and disbursements are completely tax free. Post Tax on the way in, tax free on the way out.

If you use Rakuten and pay contributions by Rakuten Card, you can also get the Cashback on the contributions for additional benefit, and sweep that into NISA as well ;-)

Of course, you can pay more into NISA if you want, to the annual maximum and lifetime maximum.
From this year, you can pay in to NISA a maximum total of Y3.6M, consisting Y2.4M for the Growth Portion, and Y1.2M for the Tsumitate Portion (monthly and bonus payments), per year, to a lifetime maximum of Y18M.

Within both iDECO and NISA, it is generally recommended to invest the funds in Low Cost Global Index Funds, such eMaxisSlim Global All-Country... The choice of funds is entirely up to you...

If you want to, you can make contributions as Gifts to your dependents; spouse and children, up to maximum in Total Received Gifts of Y1.1M per year per recipient.

If they are over 18 and have any taxable income, iDECO will reduce or eliminate their income tax and produce a refund of any income taxes withheld through the year.
If they have no taxable income to offset, NISA would be the better choice for them, being tax free on disbursements.

Then, if they receive a tax refund from contributions to their iDECO, they should also sweep that refund into their NISA for maximum benefit...
Last edited by Tkydon on Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

I agree with your post above.
Just one correction, (well more like additional information):

For company employee, max Y23,000 per month

If your company offers their own DC or DB pension scheme, the maximum you can pay into iDeCo is 12,000 yen per month.
Note : even if you choose not to enroll in said DC/DB schemes, you will still be limited to 12,000 yen.
The mere fact of your company offering either is what limits you.
I found this out to my detriment a few years ago when I signed up to iDeCo.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Ax6isB
Veteran

Post by Ax6isB »

To each their own I believe. For years we’ve not paid more into the mortgage due to the low rate but circumstance encouraged us to pay it all off. It’s a very, very, very nice feeling not having any debt.

Paying the mortgage off also allowed us to not pay a higher interest rate on a second mortgage to support our new experiment of living outside Tokyo. But that’s way off topic from the OP.

Run the numbers, the current low interest rates may provide some pleasant surprises relating to your monthly payments. Costs to purchase a place in Chiba may elicit other surprises as well.