Sending money to my Japan bank account from UK with WISE

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
danny15

Sending money to my Japan bank account from UK with WISE

Post by danny15 »

Hi folks, I hear that so long as the amount of Yen sent is under 1 million, then it will not be flagged. How true is this?
If I send amounts of 999,999 Yen once per month for 4 months in a row, these will not be flagged? I find that hard to believe.
If anyone knows the answer from experience, please let me know. Thanks!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Sending money to my Japan bank account from UK with WISE

Post by RetireJapan »

I have heard anything over 100,000 yen is reported to the tax office.

Some banks will routinely question even small transfers.

The key issue is not whether it gets flagged, but whether you owe taxes due to the transfer. If not, then even if it is flagged you can generally explain and get it cleared up quite quickly.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
danny15

Post by danny15 »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:04 am I have heard anything over 100,000 yen is reported to the tax office.

Some banks will routinely question even small transfers.

The key issue is not whether it gets flagged, but whether you owe taxes due to the transfer. If not, then even if it is flagged you can generally explain and get it cleared up quite quickly.
OK, thanks. But I am pretty sure it's 1,000,000 not 100,000
madmick
Regular

Post by madmick »

Notification from my Canadian bank that money transfers into Japan will require a verification of My Number beginning this month... what if recipient does not have a My Number?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

madmick wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:39 am Notification from my Canadian bank that money transfers into Japan will require a verification of My Number beginning this month... what if recipient does not have a My Number?
Anyone living in Japan has a My Number, even if they don't have the plastic card. You can check it by getting your jyuuminhyou or the paper notification.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
SLW
Regular

Post by SLW »

Not to be pedantic, but this is not right. Anyone living in Japan on an Official or Diplomatic visa and anyone on SOFA will not have a My Number (no Zairyu card either) card. All of these people can get Japanese bank accounts and send/receive transfers without issue. In fact, those living in Japan on these visa statuses cannot get a My Number even if they wanted one. I would guess the number of people on these types of visas would be in the hundreds of thousands of people (including dependents) across the US military/contractors, all diplomatic missions and foreign government employees and all employees of international organizations (e.g. UN, IMF, World Bank…etc) living in Japan.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

SLW wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:27 am Not to be pedantic, but this is not right. Anyone living in Japan on an Official or Diplomatic visa and anyone on SOFA will not have a My Number (no Zairyu card either) card. All of these people can get Japanese bank accounts and send/receive transfers without issue. In fact, those living in Japan on these visa statuses cannot get a My Number even if they wanted one. I would guess the number of people on these types of visas would be in the hundreds of thousands of people (including dependents) across the US military/contractors, all diplomatic missions and foreign government employees and all employees of international organizations (e.g. UN, IMF, World Bank…etc) living in Japan.
Fair enough. Anyone living in Japan normally... ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)