Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Name issues: examples needed

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:13 pm
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:15 pm
goodandbadjapan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:30 am

This is my great fear with everything - insurance / pension etc - that there will be some name glitch etc and they will say they won't / can't pay out!
You can set it up ahead of time via the my number portal. In fact, they gave me 5000 points for the effort.
I'm still a good few years out but that is good to know!
That campaign seems to have ended. It was 7500 points/yen for 1 minute of work.
7,500 yen worth of points for registering your own savings account(public money receiving account) with the government (Digital Agency).
I would still do it now, and fix any issues. They may use the scheme for other things in the future.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:13 pm
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:15 pm
goodandbadjapan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:30 am

This is my great fear with everything - insurance / pension etc - that there will be some name glitch etc and they will say they won't / can't pay out!
You can set it up ahead of time via the my number portal. In fact, they gave me 5000 points for the effort.
I'm still a good few years out but that is good to know!
Just been hit with the curse of the middle name in this case it is with my wife applying for a family credit card for Jal airmiles. They couldn't do a proper credit check and so refused to give her one, this is despite spending small fortune on that credit card every month. Talked to the credit card company but now can't fill out the form with the extended two names.
torata

Post by torata »

My first name and family are 18 letters in total. Middle name brings it up to 24, not including spaces.
While this wasn't a problem for Bigcamera CC, which is simply printed, when I applied at SMBC for a Visa credit card, the bank clerk dealing with my application said that due to the character limit, the name embossed on my credit card would be my first and middle names and then just the first half of my surname. Luckily my Japanese is good enough to throw a complete wobbly and get her to make the requisite calls so that my credit card was issued with just initials and surname.

I also accompanied an American friend to the ward office with his Japanese wife-to-be for the registration of their marriage.
I had warned him in advance that being called Stephen Edwards II was going to be problematic...
His parents, sister and I were in fits of laughter as the ward office official tried to persuade them that エドワーズ・ザ・セカンド would be suitable on their marriage certificate.
It got sorted in the end, but it was an eye-opener for his wife about bureaucracy that non-Japanese face.
[I've changed his name slightly]

torata