Seeking advice on Ideco and Nisa purchases

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
Dacoz
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Seeking advice on Ideco and Nisa purchases

Post by Dacoz »

Hello, everyone. I'm a 53 year old Canadian living in Japan. I'd like some advice regarding Nisa and Ideco investments. I don't have any debt, and I don't need to access any of the money I will be paying into these accounts as I have an emergency fund and some savings put away. I'm interested in growth. What investments would you recommend for Ideco and Nisa? Also, is it OK to purchase the same products for Ideco as Nisa? Or should they be different because of tax benefits?
sutebayashi
Veteran

Re: Seeking advice on Ideco and Nisa purchases

Post by sutebayashi »

If you want growth, a global equities fund should set you right, over a 10 year horizon it should probably have increased.

If you want to go for broke then you might pick a narrower sector fund, like technology stocks.

Or a combination.

Probably just a global equities fund is good and simple - eMAXIS slim all country is a popular choice.

I buy the same sort of stuff in both my iDeCo and NISA. IDeCo is locked up for years until retirement so growthier funds makes sense there, whereas in nisa there can be no problem with buying other things there, as it’s going to save tax, so why not.
Dacoz
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Re: Seeking advice on Ideco and Nisa purchases

Post by Dacoz »

Thank you so much, Sutebayashi. I was leaning towards just getting the eMaxis slim all country or closest equivalent at SBI. Glad you thought so, too.
sutebayashi wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:30 am If you want growth, a global equities fund should set you right, over a 10 year horizon it should probably have increased.

If you want to go for broke then you might pick a narrower sector fund, like technology stocks.

Or a combination.

Probably just a global equities fund is good and simple - eMAXIS slim all country is a popular choice.

I buy the same sort of stuff in both my iDeCo and NISA. IDeCo is locked up for years until retirement so growthier funds makes sense there, whereas in nisa there can be no problem with buying other things there, as it’s going to save tax, so why not.