Bank for emergency fund

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Re: Bank for emergency fund

Post by sutebayashi »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:30 am Any decent foreign bond funds available through SBI (my broker)?
Also, what about REITs as an alternative to bond funds?
eMAXIS has both developed markets bond and REIT funds, and I have been in both of these for several years as part of my non-equity chunk of my “portfolio”.

Based on myindex.jp, I would say the REIT fund would give better returns, but a good more risk in the bargain. I see the REITs as a diversification, and personally wouldn’t put my “emergency” money there, but i am fine with it for normal investment.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

sutebayashi wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:30 pm
Roger Van Zant wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:30 am Any decent foreign bond funds available through SBI (my broker)?
eMAXIS has both developed markets bond and REIT funds, and I have been in both of these for several years as part of my non-equity chunk of my “portfolio”.

Based on myindex.jp, I would say the REIT fund would give better returns, but a good more risk in the bargain. I see the REITs as a diversification, and personally wouldn’t put my “emergency” money there, but i am fine with it for normal investment.
I have had a rethink about my emergency fund, taking into account my circumstances: single, no kids, renting, no debts, good job security, live in a cheap area of Japan....
Rather than creating an emergency fund of 1.8m yen (six months' worth of 300,000 yen) and just have it sitting idle in my bank account, I am now thinking to keep 900,000 yen in the bank, and put the remaining 900,000 yen into eMaxis. My broker is SBI.
I am on course to max out my 2024 NISA; already maxed out the 2.4m 成長 portion, and am paying in 100,000 yen per month to the つみたて portion. This is all in the eMaxis All Country fund.
If I put another 900,000 yen in, this will have to go into my 特定 account, somthing I have never had to use before since I have never been able to max out my NISA allowance until this year.
When I come to sell this chunk from the 特定 account, what is the tax levied? 20%? And will this 20% be taken automatically when I sell, or do I have to take some kind of reporting action?
I am still deciding whether to just buy more eMaxis All Country, or perhaps invest in their developed markets bond or REIT fund....

Thanks.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:04 am
sutebayashi wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:30 pm

I have had a rethink about my emergency fund, taking into account my circumstances: single, no kids, renting, no debts, good job security, live in a cheap area of Japan....
Rather than creating an emergency fund of 1.8m yen (six months' worth of 300,000 yen) and just have it sitting idle in my bank account, I am now thinking to keep 900,000 yen in the bank, and put the remaining 900,000 yen into eMaxis. My broker is SBI.
I am on course to max out my 2024 NISA; already maxed out the 2.4m 成長 portion, and am paying in 100,000 yen per month to the つみたて portion. This is all in the eMaxis All Country fund.
If I put another 900,000 yen in, this will have to go into my 特定 account, somthing I have never had to use before since I have never been able to max out my NISA allowance until this year.
When I come to sell this chunk from the 特定 account, what is the tax levied? 20%? And will this 20% be taken automatically when I sell, or do I have to take some kind of reporting action?
I am still deciding whether to just buy more eMaxis All Country, or perhaps invest in their developed markets bond or REIT fund....

Thanks.
Selling from 特定(源泉徴収あり)will deduct the 20% capital gains tax automatically. You don't need to do any reporting unless you do a kakutei shinkoku separately.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

That's good to know. Thanks.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓