Tax on money awarded as compensation

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Tax on money awarded as compensation

Post by Roger Van Zant »

I've been involved in a long-running legal case in the UK.
It looks like I may be awarded compensation.
This money will go into my NatWest bank account.
I plan to transfer it to Japan using WISE.

I have no idea if this money will be taxed in the UK before I receive it (probably), but how about Japan?
If the money has already been taxed in the UK, do I have to declare it to the Japanese tax authorities as well, and pay tax on it again?
What is the rate of tax?

I am a seishain at a Japanese company (my only job), earning just under 5m yen per year.
The amount of compensation is around 3m yen.

Thanks.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Tax on money awarded as compensation

Post by zeroshiki »

I was curious about this so I googled it but it seems like any compensatory damages 損害賠償 for distress (even the payment for divorce 慰謝料) is considered non-taxable in Japan. Obviously your personal situation might be different but you might be in the clear https://www.nta.go.jp/taxes/shiraberu/t ... ん%E3%80%82

Even if it were taxable, the tax treaty between the UK and Japan would allow you to claim a deduction on the tax already paid to the UK.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Re: Tax on money awarded as compensation

Post by Roger Van Zant »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:00 am I was curious about this so I googled it but it seems like any compensatory damages 損害賠償 for distress (even the payment for divorce 慰謝料) is considered non-taxable in Japan. Obviously your personal situation might be different but you might be in the clear https://www.nta.go.jp/taxes/shiraberu/t ... ん%E3%80%82

Even if it were taxable, the tax treaty between the UK and Japan would allow you to claim a deduction on the tax already paid to the UK.
Good to know.
Thank you.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓