Credit Card - Suggestion

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
OkiBum
Veteran

Credit Card - Suggestion

Post by OkiBum »

I currently use the Rakuten ANA Card which gives me 1 mile for every 200 yen spend with no annual fees.

My monthly cc spend is quite high and want to make better use of miles in comparison to 200 JPY = 1 mile

I have heard around the forum about the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX card. It that the best recommended card? Adding the link below just to make sure I have the right card.

https://www.americanexpress.com/jp/cred ... oyBaseCard

I was hoping for something around JPY 100 = 1 mile (ANA if possible, since I have been an ANA user for a while. I also believe AMEX points can be used either with ANA or JAL)

Sorry if this has been asked multiple times.

Thanks
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Credit Card - Suggestion

Post by RetireJapan »

You can transfer Marriott points to air miles at a 3:1 (with a bonus 5,000 miles if you transfer 60,000 points). The premium card earns 3 points per 100 yen, or 6 points at Marriott properties. If my maths is correct that means you can get one mile per 80 yen or so, which is pretty good (the United cards can get 1.5 miles per hundred yen if I remember correctly, which is slightly better at 75 yen per mile).

You also get platinum status with Marriott if you spend 4m yen a year.

Annual fee is high, but it can be worth it if you value the travel perks.

Send me a message if you want my intro link you can earn bonus points, I get some too.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)