Applying for a Spouse Visa

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Applying for a Spouse Visa

Post by Tkydon »

If your Wise Account is registered to an overseas account holder, then there is no limit to the amount that can be kept in the Wise Account (I don't think).

But, if the Wise Account is registered to an account holder with a Japanese Address, the balance can temporarily exceed the maximum, but there is a maximum balance of Y1M or equivalent for long-term balance.

https://wise.com/help/articles/3GBSRou4 ... e-in-japan

https://wise.com/help/articles/2899986/ ... ing-limits

You should consult a Qualified Professional to make sure you do not fall into a Tax Trap by transferring funds to Japan.
The details will depend entirely on YOUR circumstances.

It is good that it is the beginning of the Tax Year - The Tax Year in Japan runs from 1 Jan to 31 Dec.

Transferring Funds is not in and of itself a Taxable Event.
But it may trigger Tax Liability against other Taxable Events in the same Tax Year.

It is good that it is the beginning of the Tax Year, so you will not have had too many (or Any) potentially taxable events so far this tax year ;-)
But you may well have potentially taxable events in the rest of this tax year, and you don't want to have to pay Japanese tax unless you have to.

It would be best if you could have transferred funds to Japan in the calendar year before the calendar year in which you move to Japan, while you were both still not resident in Japan. (e.g. Transfer Funds in 2023, relocate in 2024...)
Next best would be to transfer funds to Japan before you move to Japan, or bring funds with you when you arrive, but before you establish residence.

It will be very difficult or almost impossible to open a bank account in Japan until you have your Spouse Visa, Permission to Remain under the Immigration Status of Spouse, a registered address (establish residence), a Zairyu Card (new version of old Foreigner Registration Card), and a 'My Number' Card (Tax Identification Number - equivalent to a US Social Security Number or UK National Insurance Number), so that makes it very hard.

You have to be very careful using a spouse's bank account, as Japan does not generally consider Common Assets, (unless the names are jointly on the deed of a property, etc.) (No joint bank accounts, only an account owned by one spouse with a family card for the other spouse), and so if not done properly may expose the Spouse with the Bank Account to Gift Tax.

You definitely want to have clear demarcation between the assets belonging to each spouse before moving to Japan so that you are not exposed to Gift Tax Liability.

Those are just some thoughts.

You should consult a Qualified Professional to make sure you do not fall into a Tax Trap by transferring funds to Japan.
The details will depend entirely on YOUR circumstances.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Wiznerd
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Wiznerd »

...y'know, I heard this over and over again from people that you cannot wait for your COE while in country. I applied for my COE (Child of a Japanese National) last year and this year I applied for my wife's COE (spouse of a PR), both times I/we waited and received the COE's in country at my residence. The Immigration Office did not specifically say I cannot stay and wait for the COE both times. Did I dare ask, no way! I'm not going to put myself on the radar. The only issue is that you must apply for the visa at the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in your home country because they will need to stamp the passport for the visa. I have checked the MOJ site several times and yet to find anything conclusive on that. I just think it's just an informal unwritten policy somebody came up with years ago which still perpetuates to this day.

On another note, I had to provide 13 years' worth of history to include date stamped photos and date stamped communications (text/emails) to the Immigration Office even though we provided a Certificate of Marriage. I think the MOJ thinks she's a mail order bride. Grrrr. :roll:

We are both retired US citizens just living in Japan.
russturn
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by russturn »

Thank you for the excellent reply. So much to think about.
This may be a silly question. I know it's a rather specialized area but who are the best professionals to ask?