In the unfortunate event of…

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
JimNasium
Veteran

In the unfortunate event of…

Post by JimNasium »

my untimely death.

I’d like to make things as smooth and easy as possible for my wife in case something happens. I’m doing fine, but hey, I could get hit by a Bosozoku tomorrow.

Should I write down my bank accounts, NISA, iDeCo, insurance, pension accounts, etc? Is there anything else I should take mind of?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: In the unfortunate event of…

Post by RetireJapan »

Absolutely.

At the very least a list of institutions (banks and brokers) that you have accounts with. Any insurance policies. Bank the mortgage is at. Where the deeds to real estate, etc are.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Yes, write down as much as you possibly can to help her during this difficult time. I made a 30-page password-protected Word document that includes the full details of our assets, including future pensions, and the steps she'll need to take both here and in my home country to notify the authorities and eventually access the assets which are in my name. It also provides details on inheritance tax, family and friends to contact, and my funeral wishes (if possible). It took a long time to create and some time to maintain each year, but I think it's worth it.

Make sure she knows where the document is stored, and the password!
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

There are a few threads on this, I would say:

1. Fireproof safe/bag for anything paper.

2. Password manager with all the important login data. {That way a loved one would just need a single login/password}

3. Will made with a notary and filled with your city hall.

4. Double check how your home country handles death abroad. {I am still unsure about what Canada does....}