UK Pension Gateway Access

Snowbay
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

UK Pension Gateway Access

Post by Snowbay »

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the site. I looked around and couldn't find it.

I've seen a few people talk about checking their pension status on the government Gateway site. I can't access it -- although I have an ID and password, because I'm not able to receive a confirmation code from overseas, and I don't have any UK ID beyond my passport (driver's licence expired years ago). Is there some magic way of accessing it? Or do I have to do all this the old-fashioned way, ie mailing in paperwork?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: UK Pension Gateway Access

Post by RetireJapan »

I get a code sent to my Japanese mobile phone by SMS when logging in.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

There is an app, too.
Authenticator.
Works fine for me.

https://submit.cosmetic-product-notific ... cator-app?
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Snowbay wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:37 am Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the site. I looked around and couldn't find it.

I've seen a few people talk about checking their pension status on the government Gateway site. I can't access it -- although I have an ID and password, because I'm not able to receive a confirmation code from overseas, and I don't have any UK ID beyond my passport (driver's licence expired years ago). Is there some magic way of accessing it? Or do I have to do all this the old-fashioned way, ie mailing in paperwork?
There was a time when you could create a Gateway Account and Password.

Then, all the old accounts expired and were deleted, or maybe if you hadn't logged in for a long time...

Then, there was a period when you couldn't create a new Gateway Account and Password if you didn't have three IDs, Passport, Driver's Licence and UK Utility bills...

Then, they changed the system, and it became possible to create a new Gateway Account and Password with a Passport and Facial Recognition, creating / using the HMRC App and HMRC Authenticator App - 'HMRC' on App Store and 'GOV.UK ID Check' - on App Store...

I am not sure about now, but you may have to create a new Gateway Account and Password with a Passport and Facial Recognition using the HMRC App and the HMRC Authenticator App - 'HMRC' on App Store and 'GOV.UK ID Check' - on App Store...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Snowbay
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Snowbay »

Thanks everyone. Everywhere I turn, I get asked for two forms of ID. I downloaded the app, but can't use it without signing in using two forms of ID. I can't switch to receiving the confirmation code via another method without providing two forms of ID! I guess pen and paper is my only option. :roll: