Want to accumulate MileagePlus Miles (by UNITED AIR) frugally

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
kizuki
Regular

Re: Want to accumulate MileagePlus Miles (by UNITED AIR) frugally

Post by kizuki »

TJKansai wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:03 am I have considered this since the transfer options are good, but the fee seems too high to justify it. Of course, if you aren't able to access the American offerings there may not be many other good choices.

Like others, I use my MP on other Star Alliance airlines (Lufthansa, Asiana etc), ideally business class :D . Also recently did the ANA domestic booking. In the past the taxes/fees were around $40 and it didn't make sense, but now at $4 it is a pretty good deal for tickets over ¥10,000.
True. The transfer options do not justify the high fee at all. The only way I justify it to myself is a night of luxury once a year at Marriott properties category-6 or lower (quite a few nice ones including at Okinawa and Karuizawa qualify). Amex also keeps running few small campaigns 3-4 times a year which further provide 2000 - 5000 yen benefit each e.g. 20% cash-back at 7-11 (but benefit capped to 2000 yen) etc. which further compensates the annual fee. They do have many campaigns on hotel stays throughout the year. Overall, I would recommend the card only if a person is able to enjoy the related benefits and not for miles alone.
regular
Regular

Post by regular »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:01 am United sometimes has mile sales, where you can get them for up to half off. At the larger end of the scale, this can be a good deal if you are going to redeem for business class or first, or for last minute travel, or for domestic Japanese flights on ANA (via Star Alliance). Sign up to their mailing list to get notifications.

Otherwise the Saison credit cards can be a good option, or earning miles through Star Alliance flights.
I bought 127000 UA miles and soon used them all up including most of the UA miles I accumulated in my account till then to buy Star Alliance return air tickets for my daughter and wife. However, the best offer I got from points.com was at 1.88 cents per mile, and so I did not spend any less compared to buying the actual economy air tickets using cash. Only flexibility was to be able to change dates as I booked using miles.

Then UA miles got massively devalued. Now going to Vancouver from Nagoya and then coming back will set me back 110K miles or so.

So I want to know whether anyone can actually buy UA miles at less than 1.88 cents per mile, legally.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

regular wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:56 am
RetireJapan wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:01 am United sometimes has mile sales, where you can get them for up to half off. At the larger end of the scale, this can be a good deal if you are going to redeem for business class or first, or for last minute travel, or for domestic Japanese flights on ANA (via Star Alliance). Sign up to their mailing list to get notifications.

Otherwise the Saison credit cards can be a good option, or earning miles through Star Alliance flights.
I bought 127000 UA miles and soon used them all up including most of the UA miles I accumulated in my account till then to buy Star Alliance return air tickets for my daughter and wife. However, the best offer I got from points.com was at 1.88 cents per mile, and so I did not spend any less compared to buying the actual economy air tickets using cash. Only flexibility was to be able to change dates as I booked using miles.

Then UA miles got massively devalued. Now going to Vancouver from Nagoya and then coming back will set me back 110K miles or so.

So I want to know whether anyone can actually buy UA miles at less than 1.88 cents per mile, legally.
That price of 1.88 sounds about right.
FYI: I was looking using UA miles this summer. Business class to Europe for 80,000 one way, 50,000 in economy.
Economy tickets can be ¥75,000, so not great value there. Business tickets are much more though, so UA mileage is worth considering.
Very reasonable compared with 175,000 to the USA in business I saw last year. I feel like I should jump on this before it shoots up.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Yes, I would only use air miles for economy tickets in a last minute emergency situation when buying the tickets would be too expensive.

Otherwise using them for business or first class travel is much more attractive.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)