Tax return: Pension etc.. if paid through company?

RetroNewbie
Regular

Tax return: Pension etc.. if paid through company?

Post by RetroNewbie »

This is probably a dumb question, but this is my first time filling in a tax return for a year where I was fully employed by a company.

In previous years I had mainly freelance income, so I was paying everything like health insurance, pension, etc.. directly myself, and when I filled out the tax return I had to put all that in there.

in 2023 I had purely salary income, and everything like pension etc... was paid through my company. I think this would normally mean I don't even have to fill in a tax return (right?), but I had high medical expenses last year so I think I actually do need to.

In which case, do I need to fill in all the pension, health insurance premium, etc.. amounts even though they got deducted before I got paid?

I was going in thinking I just needed to put employment income, medical expenses and hometown taxes, but I just realised I probably need to put all the other stuff as well??
adamu
Sage

Re: Tax return: Pension etc.. if paid through company?

Post by adamu »

You should have a 源泉徴収票 from your employer with all the details.

If you file using the NTA's 作成コーナー app, it walks you through inputting all the info from that, which should result in 0 tax due. Then you can add the medical and furusato nozei deductions.
RetroNewbie
Regular

Re: Tax return: Pension etc.. if paid through company?

Post by RetroNewbie »

Thanks! I think I've worked it out.

It should be much simpler this year, but I've been doing it the same way for so many years that doing it the simple way has me all confused :D