Monthly Dividend Paying funds - Searching

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
Seasider4374
Regular

Monthly Dividend Paying funds - Searching

Post by Seasider4374 »

Is there a way to search for monthly dividend paying funds on Rakuten Super Serach?

I can see the "top 10" listed on the ranking page, but can't see a way to filter all "monthly dividends paying funds" in Super Search...

Also, on Monex they also used to have a ranking for this category, but this seems to have been dropped. I also can't see any Dividend Paying search option on Yahoo Finance. Or am i missing something...
beanhead
Sage

Re: Monthly Dividend Paying funds - Searching

Post by beanhead »

Why do you want a dividend fund that pays each month?
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Getting monthly dividends in my bank account when retired is one reason I would consider dividend paying funds or ETFs in future.
Seasider4374
Regular

Post by Seasider4374 »

beanhead wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:05 pm Why do you want a dividend fund that pays each month?
As an option to all other possibilities.

I'm not planning to invest solely in Dividend Paying, but would like to be able to search for these more easily than currently (at least) I can do on Rakuten/Yahoo/Monex.

I'm also keen to perhaps be in a position to maybe retire from day-day work come age 55-60 and being able to live off my monthly rental and dividend income, until I start receiving state pensions, and my iDeCo matures.

I know I could just sell off portions of any non-dividend paying EFT I own to achieve a monthly income - but the ease of having the dividends just drop every month appeals.

Currently I've got a small amount in a monthly dividend paying fund that pays 150yen monthly (1800yen yearly) per share. With the current price being around 9500yen that's a 19% yearly return based on dividends alone, even taking the higher than average fund management fee into account I still consider it a good place for some of my money to be in. Set it up and just let the monthly income come in, without worrying if it's share price rises or falls too much... Of course once dividend payout changes then I'll need to re-calculate, but this has consistently paid 150yen per month for years.

But I'd like to better compare this with other dividend paying funds.
sutebayashi wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:25 am Getting monthly dividends in my bank account when retired is one reason I would consider dividend paying funds or ETFs in future.
Yes, and even before retirement, to enable an earlier retirement.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

As an option to all other possibilities.

I'm not planning to invest solely in Dividend Paying, but would like to be able to search for these more easily than currently (at least) I can do on Rakuten/Yahoo/Monex.

I'm also keen to perhaps be in a position to maybe retire from day-day work come age 55-60 and being able to live off my monthly rental and dividend income, until I start receiving state pensions, and my iDeCo matures.

I know I could just sell off portions of any non-dividend paying EFT I own to achieve a monthly income - but the ease of having the dividends just drop every month appeals.
Just a caution that the funds available to you in Japan which pay a monthly dividend will necessarily skew your asset allocation. The Japanese stock market as a whole doesn't come close to having even monthly payouts of dividends because most listed companies pay dividends just twice a year and the payments cluster May-July and November-December. Foreign stock funds also cluster payments (e.g. for the US the payouts concentrate in March, June, September and December). Aiming to get more even monthly distributions or dividends will mean debt or bond funds, some types of real estate funds and funds that use covered option writing strategies. You might want those asset classes in your portfolio anyway but to me this is like letting the tail wag the dog.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Are you aware that you can create an artificial dividends fund?

Brokers like Rakuten let you schedule a monthly sale of a mutual fund.

Think of it like a reverse tsumitate. A much much better option imo.
Last edited by Tsumitate Wrestler on Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Budgeting quarterly dividend payments so you can spend monthly is not hard. And pension is only paid bi-monthly (Feb, Apr, June, etc) so a person will have to already accommodate that. Also, health care is billed monthly, but residence tax is billed/deducted four times (end of June, Aug, Oct, and Jan). So there'll be things scheduled variously that will have to be accommodated.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:18 pm Brokers like Rakuten let you schedule a monthly sale of s mutual fund.
I want this for Monex actually… looked for such a thing by could not find it, so perhaps they haven’t got the feature.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

sutebayashi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:23 pm
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:18 pm Brokers like Rakuten let you schedule a monthly sale of s mutual fund.
I want this for Monex actually… looked for such a thing by could not find it, so perhaps they haven’t got the feature.
SBI and Rakuten offer it.

https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/rfund ... kyaku.html

https://www.sbisec.co.jp/ETGate/WPLETmg ... 20316.html

It was one of the reasons I selected those brokers. A turnkey operation. Any spouse, child or relative who might need to understand these matters has a very simple setup.

We accumulate using 1 or 2 funds using monthly tsumitate, adding extra as we can.

When we retire we reverse the flow, along with pension and ideco.

Set and forget. No market timing.