Moving company/services

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Moving company/services

Post by zeroshiki »

When looking for moving companies a year ago, I came across Kurashi Market which is sort of like a Craigslist for individual service providers: https://curama.jp/moving/

Its mostly one or two guys (depending on how much stuff you have) and they do expect you to help out a bit but the prices are ridiculously low. A 100k move quoted from the big moving companies became a 20k move with one guy in a truck. He was prompt, very professional and accepted special requests like disassembling/reassembling IKEA furniture. Highly recommended if you're moving apartments and not a house (not sure if kurashi market can handle that big a move).
douglasxwilliams
Regular

Post by douglasxwilliams »

Hi all ...

Thank you for the amazing and thorough responses. I appreciate all of the info and help!
shyam

Post by shyam »

When I was gearing up for a similar move within Japan, I stumbled upon Yamato Kuroneko and was really happy with their service. Super professional and careful with my stuff. I also heard great things about Sakai from a friend who used them. Definitely shop around for quotes to see who fits your budget and needs best.

In my search, I also found some helpful info on international moves at https://threemovers.com/moving-companies-international/, even though it was more than I needed for my domestic move. They had a ton of advice and service options that looked pretty solid. Could be a good resource to check out, even if you're moving within Japan. It helped me feel more prepared and informed for sure.
Last edited by shyam on Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimNasium
Veteran

Post by JimNasium »

My wife mentioned that some areas having moving cost subsidies if you move there. Might be worth looking up.
Oasyser
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by Oasyser »

That's an interesting point your wife mentioned! It's definitely worth checking out if there are any moving cost subsidies available in the areas you're considering. And if you ever need assistance with moving, especially in Malmö, considering professional moving services like flytthjälp Malmö could be a helpful option.
Last edited by Oasyser on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:19 am
Tokyo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:14 am But most of all I recommend that before moving you reassess all of your belongings and try to get rid of (sell, donate or junk) at least a third. Cheaper to move and much easier to pack and unpack too.
This is such a good tip. My experience is that stuff is just going to stay in a box for nine months then get thrown away later anyway :lol:
We’ve still got stuff in boxes we took to Hong Kong in 2011 and bought back to Japan in 2016 and it’s still not been unpacked. I mention it every so often to my wife but it’s crockery etc gifted by her mother so it continues to happily sit in the attic :)