Rethinking emergency funds

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Silversurfer

Re: Rethinking emergency funds

Post by Silversurfer »

I keep Japanese yen and American dollars in my EMERGENCY BAG, in case I have to get the hell out in the event of a natural (or otherwise) disaster. About 8,000 US dollars worth. My choice. Don’t need to invest the money in anything. Don’t have to worry about “not getting any income, man”.

I also have fractional gold and silver in case money doesn’t get the job done. Also have tins of food, the proverbial Swiss Army Knife, band-aids, blankets, water purifier, candles, mini-stove, medicine, etc. Just in case. Be prepared!
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

It sounds like you're well prepared. I was wondering why 8000 but figured it's something like JPY500,000 and USD5000 so the exchange rate makes it about USD8000. Do you worry about damage and theft by keeping it in a bag instead of a safe? Also, what kind of water purifier do you recommend? It must be so much easier than trying to carry a load of bottled water around.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

northSaver wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:25 am It sounds like you're well prepared. I was wondering why 8000 but figured it's something like JPY500,000 and USD5000 so the exchange rate makes it about USD8000. Do you worry about damage and theft by keeping it in a bag instead of a safe? Also, what kind of water purifier do you recommend? It must be so much easier than trying to carry a load of bottled water around.
Very good. I only have 100000 yen, in a fireproof bag next to my emergency bag, along with passports, valuables, backup hdd, etc

How does the gold and silver work in an emergency? I don't get that. If things go really bad, cash will still be king for awhile.

I'm unconvinced of the need for a fixed safe in Japan...it's seems heavy and inconvenient in an emergency. 😂
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

Silversurfer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:33 pm I keep Japanese yen and American dollars in my EMERGENCY BAG, in case I have to get the hell out in the event of a natural (or otherwise) disaster. About 8,000 US dollars worth. My choice. Don’t need to invest the money in anything. Don’t have to worry about “not getting any income, man”.

I also have fractional gold and silver in case money doesn’t get the job done. Also have tins of food, the proverbial Swiss Army Knife, band-aids, blankets, water purifier, candles, mini-stove, medicine, etc. Just in case. Be prepared!
Be prepared for what, exactly? Armageddon? Good to be prepared, of course, if you live in a disaster-prone area (which I don't), but I’m wondering how precious metal bars are going to help if there’s a tsunami or earthquake in your area? Are you expecting society to crumble and revert to a primitive society where you’ll be able to buy a ship with your bullion? How do you sleep at night? FWIW, my sister-in-law had more than that stolen from a drawer in her bedroom.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

I’m sorry for your sister’s loss. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I a prepper, gun nut or evangelical millenarian. I will continue to keep a few ounces of gold, in gram “chips” inthe unlikely event that I’m stuck in a corrupt non-developing third-world country where bribes are the norm and officials actively prefer precious metals. My target market is the local border guard, immigration agent and ferry boat operator. You know, the people whose decisions matter in the real world. I know what they want and I will act accordingly.

ETFs? Sure. A good thing. I have money invested in a few, but I believe in the old saying, “If you don’t hold it, you don’t own it!”

I’m going out now to do a spring evaluation of my rental properties. My real rate of return is 8%. No need to get into jargon. Pride of ownership.

Aargh! Swab the decks, ye landlubbers!