Selling Gold in Japan

Yatsushiro2
Regular

Re: Selling Gold in Japan

Post by Yatsushiro2 »

sutebayashi wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:21 am Is that how it works?
I suspect not.

Probably more like the 10% goes to the government for every transaction, so they keep making 10% every time the same piece of gold is sold.

Perhaps I am being too cynical.
Silversurfer

Re: Selling Gold in Japan

Post by Silversurfer »

I have sold gold on two occasions in Japan and made a small profit each time. The first time, I went to a place called DAIKOKUYA in Tokyo. It took about thirty minutes in all. They asked me where I got the gold. I told them. They tested the gold. It passed the test. They photographed my identity document, don’t remember which one. They plopped down cash on the table. Gave me a receipt. Very straightforward. I walked out, threw away the receipt and had breakfast at a place called Denny’s near the Yaesu exit of Tokyo Station. I was clean-shaven, polite and properly dressed. I didn’t look like some clodhopper down on his luck with frayed collars and a three-day growth.

Oh, and they paid me spot. I was very surprised. Still wonder why. I went back a few months later and sold more. I’m building a relationship with that branch because THAT’S THE WAY TO DO IT.