What are you doing about your electricity bills???!!!

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: What are you doing about your electricity bills???!!!

Post by RetireJapan »

ExpatScot wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:12 am To slightly jump on this theme of utility bills, I was just wondering if anyone had switched from a gas stove to an electric stove (or vice versa) and seen any difference in their monthly bills? I was thinking that when we remodel our kitchen in the future it might make financial and environmental sense to switch from gas to electricity. Any thoughts?
We changed from gas to electric when we remodeled, and are pretty happy with it (although I don't track my bills so couldn't tell you if we saved money).

We mainly did it because my wife kept falling asleep and leaving the gas cooker on :?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
ExpatScot
Regular

Post by ExpatScot »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:54 am
ExpatScot wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:12 am
We changed from gas to electric when we remodeled, and are pretty happy with it (although I don't track my bills so couldn't tell you if we saved money).

We mainly did it because my wife kept falling asleep and leaving the gas cooker on :?
Haha that's another benefit I guess, less chance of burning the house down!
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

I pay them. Simple as that!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Silversurfer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:29 am I pay them. Simple as that!
This is not really adding anything to the discussion. This forum focuses on asking and answering questions and being helpful. It is not really for random posting. There are better places for that (Facebook, Reddit). Right now you are borderline spamming the forum with too many of these low value posts.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

ExpatScot wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:12 am To slightly jump on this theme of utility bills, I was just wondering if anyone had switched from a gas stove to an electric stove (or vice versa) and seen any difference in their monthly bills? I was thinking that when we remodel our kitchen in the future it might make financial and environmental sense to switch from gas to electricity. Any thoughts?
A slightly different changeup: we used kerosene for the main heat in our living room for a long time (Fujitsu Hotman, an indoor/outdoor system), and that unit also heated the kitchen when it wasn't too cold (separate heater there for when it is coldest). In mid january the kerosene heater went off and gave an error code, and instead of getting it looked at we switched to using a large 200v a/c unit that we'd chosen a couple years before.

Based on two electric bills, heating with the a/c (electric) is definitely cheaper.

I've priced a new alternative to the Hotman system (by Corona) and it's quite expensive--well over ¥300k. I'm not sure we need it that bad, but I do prefer the kind of heat it produces--better location in the room, and it comes out at the floor, whereas the fan in the a/c is stronger and it blows down on where I often sit. A different feel/quality to the heat it produces, and it sometimes puts out cooler air and even pauses operation every so often and then comes back on (not just since the room has warmed up, something about the heat pump operation). And when it's coldest, it doesn't do as well as the kerosene unit. I may come back to this possible purchase in october.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

captainspoke wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:47 am A slightly different changeup: we used kerosene for the main heat in our living room for a long time (Fujitsu Hotman, an indoor/outdoor system), and that unit also heated the kitchen when it wasn't too cold (separate heater there for when it is coldest). In mid january the kerosene heater went off and gave an error code, and instead of getting it looked at we switched to using a large 200v a/c unit that we'd chosen a couple years before.

Based on two electric bills, heating with the a/c (electric) is definitely cheaper.

I've priced a new alternative to the Hotman system (by Corona) and it's quite expensive--well over ¥300k. I'm not sure we need it that bad, but I do prefer the kind of heat it produces--better location in the room, and it comes out at the floor, whereas the fan in the a/c is stronger and it blows down on where I often sit. A different feel/quality to the heat it produces, and it sometimes puts out cooler air and even pauses operation every so often and then comes back on (not just since the room has warmed up, something about the heat pump operation). And when it's coldest, it doesn't do as well as the kerosene unit.
MIght be worth considering a humidifier: more humidity makes it feel much warmer, boosting the AC power. I find a huge difference between just running AC and running a powerful humidifier with the AC.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:49 am MIght be worth considering a humidifier: more humidity makes it feel much warmer, boosting the AC power. I find a huge difference between just running AC and running a powerful humidifier with the AC.
Many thanks for that info. This reply should be framed! Our humidifier has broken and we didn't replace it to save money. Obviously that was wrong.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:49 am MIght be worth considering a humidifier: more humidity makes it feel much warmer, boosting the AC power. I find a huge difference between just running AC and running a powerful humidifier with the AC.
We use humidifiers in our teaching rooms to help stop the spread of viruses, but for some reason the rooms feel warmer when they aren't running. Anyone know why that is? I fill the tanks with warm water but that doesn't help much. In fact I see the temperature of the rooms dropping when they're running with the a/c off, so it's not just a feeling... they actually are making the rooms colder!

We get round this by stopping them when the humidity gets above 40%, and running a/c for a few minutes to get the temperature back up (the main source of heating is radiators which are on all the time). When the students arrive the humidity tends to go up slightly on its own so we don't need them on (nor the a/c) after that.

I'm talking about winter, by the way, in Hokkaido. In summer there's been too much heat and humidity recently :(
Chizakura

Post by Chizakura »

Unfortunately it has the opposite effect. While it indeed feels warmer with the same room temperature (dry bulb temperature) when it's more humid, the problem is that the humidifier evaporizes water and that takes *lots* of energy. Your AC will have to work way harder to keep the room temperature the same, costing more money in the end.

In general, first you should look into what consumes how much energy. You can only save so much energy and at some point it's a waste of (mental) energy that is better put into other things (like improving at job salary negotiations).

So, I recommend to get some devices to measure energy consumtion over time. Then find the big chunks and try to cut them. E.g. if you find that your computer or TV use up a lot of energy even during standby, find a way to turn them off completely instead.

The AC will probably be the biggest chunk and there are 3 things to know here:

1.) More modern ACs will save energy. Unfortuntely, in Japan it's quite hard to find out the exact and truthful numbers. If you rent, you can't do too much anyways

2.) Smaller ACs (less power) will save energy over bigger ACs in general (same brand / line). Single-split ACs will save energy over multi-split ACs. The drawback of small ACs is that they might be insufficient if it gets really hot or really cold. But mostly people vastly overestimate how much power they need.

3.) During summer, use the dry-mode. It also cools (it has to physically) unless you have a reeaaally old model. This is usually more than enough to keep your from feeling hot/sweating, except maybe for the nighttime or if your building is really bad insulated. Then, in summer, close and seal off all those air vents in the wall. Instead, air out in the morning and evening. You can do the same in the winter, but you'll have to air out carefully to avoid mold.

And last, one of the most important things, that almost no one seems to know: ACs are heatpumps. They literally pump heat from the inside to the outside or the other way around. Their efficiency depends on their workload and on the difference between the two temperatures. ACs like it best when they run continously without having to work hard. It seems weird, but an AC running 24h on 30% power will consume *less* energy than an AC that runs every 4h for 1h (so 6h per day in total) on 100%.

It depends a bit on the conditions. The worse your insulation, the better it is to actually not use the AC too much. But it's still best to not turn it off but rather reduce the temperature and then turn it up slowly over time (if you can program a timer with multiple steps, increase it by 1degree at a time).

People do things like "turn on AC in the morning for 1h, turn it off when going to work, turn it on when coming back for 1h, then turn it off again to go drink with friends and turn it on for 1h and then turn it off to go to bed". This will cost you more energy and money than just keeping it on over the whole 24h, unless you have building from 1970s or so.

Hope that helps you to reduce your energy costs a bit. :-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

I’ve always been puzzled by humidifiers in Asia. I’ve only ever run dehumidiers to try and save on A/C as the same temperature with a lower humidity feels much more tolerable.

I’ve never been unhappy or uncomfortable in “dry” conditions but I hate wet muggy humid conditions with a passion.

Having secondary insulation (extra windows inside the existing ones) has definitely helped this winter. Electricity bills are down by 50% and the ambient outdoor to indoor temp gradient has climbed from 5 to 11 degrees (without heating).