Buying a car by financing it from overseas account by wire transfer

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Silversurfer

Re: Buying a car by financing it from overseas account by wire transfer

Post by Silversurfer »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:02 am
solo7100 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:25 am Understood, it makes sense as I have also heard and went to our local tax accountant/office about these matters. The tax on overseas income within 5 years that is remitted to Japan makes total sense. What doesn't is that the NTA assumes.
It's quite simple. If you have no overseas income and bring savings over there is no tax to pay.

If you have overseas income and you have already paid taxes on it in Japan there is no tax to pay.

If you have overseas income that has not been taxed by Japan (because you haven't been here for five years yet) and bring savings over, the money you bring over is assumed to be the income, and is taxed.

You can't be taxed more than the amount you would have owed on the overseas income, so if you have $100 in income abroad and bring over $50,000 you would only be taxed on the first $100.

At least that is my understanding of how it works. Anyone else?

Yeah, me. My bank called me earlier this week about money sent from abroad. I sent money from my bank account overseas to my account here in Japan. I’ve got nothing to hide. I went to the bank and told them that it was my money and it was transferred for “important personal investment purposes”. The money was finally transferred. I then wired some millions of yen to a company that did work on my house. Again, nothing to hide and ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to disguise a money transaction by transferring from a foreign account to someone else’s account here in Japan. No reason at all.