Step 1 - Mortgage Presecreening

Silversurfer

Re: Step 1 - Mortgage Presecreening

Post by Silversurfer »

There is no Japanese language requirement that I have ever encountered in order to get a loan or a mortgage. Maybe that’s just me.

I have had three vehicle loans, one renovation loan and five property loans. The most important factor was financial: could I pay back the loan? In no case did I have a father- or mother-in-law as a guarantor. I have been a guarantor myself for loans.

And I usually laid down big down-payments.

It’s good to have an honest face, too.
entdark
Regular

Post by entdark »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:53 am SMCB Plaza Update

1. You cannot sign with SMBC unless you can read the contract natively with no translation. PR and Spousal were fine.
(I cannot read Japanese at this level).

2. If one is on maternity leave they need 3 years of tax withholding slips

3. They will give you a rough number on the phone before you come in for prescreening.

4. I am not 100% sure if they will offer a formal prescreening, without selecting a property. But it seems so. Not all banks offer this.

We are going ahead with the meeting for now. They say they can offer us the amount we are looking for my partner's salary alone. We will see. I could use a senpai here, lol. This is unknown territory.

SBMC does not have the best rates? -> https://kakaku.com/housing-loan/compan ... panyCD=010
At what point do they ask you to go read the contract in person? I went through the pre-screening and was told to open a bank account with them, spoke with them on the phone so far no problems.

If I had to read a contract then I'd be obliterated, most likely. Guess I will have to learn to read them.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

entdark wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:01 am

1. You cannot sign with SMBC unless you can read the contract natively with no translation. PR and Spousal were fine.

3. They will give you a rough number on the phone before you come in for prescreening.

4. I am not 100% sure if they will offer a formal prescreening, without selecting a property. But it seems so. Not all banks offer this.

We are going ahead with the meeting for now. They say they can offer us the amount we are looking for my partner's salary alone. We will see. I could use a senpai here, lol. This is unknown territory.

SBMC does not have the best rates? -> https://kakaku.com/housing-loan/compan ... panyCD=010
At what point do they ask you to go read the contract in person? I went through the pre-screening and was told to open a bank account with them, spoke with them on the phone so far no problems.

If I had to read a contract then I'd be obliterated, most likely. Guess I will have to learn to read them.
This was SMBC, in person at their loan plaza. They are a bit old fashioned. You could probably do it online and avoid this.
entdark
Regular

Post by entdark »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:22 am
entdark wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:01 am

This was SMBC, in person at their loan plaza. They are a bit old fashioned. You could probably do it online and avoid this.
Yeah asked because I went online, did the pre-screening and got the OK and the next is the real application. Did the whole call in Japanese and no word of the test to read the mortgage contract.

But anyways one of the steps is creating an account with them and the automated system failed, so I will have to go to a physical branch anyway :lol: