PSA: Changing your tsumitate date could result in missed or double payments - be careful

Butterball
Regular

PSA: Changing your tsumitate date could result in missed or double payments - be careful

Post by Butterball »

At least with Rakuten.

I had my tsumitate contribution date set to the beginning of the month, but I decided to change it to the middle of the month for various reasons. So around the 2nd week of march I changed the setting on Rakuten. I just assumed that the contributions worked on per-month basis, and since I had already contributed in March, the setting wouldn't come into play until my April contribution. But sure enough I now have made a second March contribution.

Maybe this is obvious, and certainly I should have re-read the info on the setting change screen. No big deal in my case, but it could potentially be troublesome depending on your situation. I assume it's also possible to miss out on a monthly contribution by moving the date in the opposite way.
banders
Veteran

Re: PSA: Changing your tsumitate date could result in missed or double payments - be careful

Post by banders »

No idea about Rakuten, but if I change my date with SBI, it shows clearly when the next payment will be made.

But this has given me one of those Twilight Zone moments. You didn't quote amounts so no idea the total of your two payments, but am I wrong in thinking that the tsumitate has a maximum investment amount of ¥100,000 a month? I always assumed that but when I googled it I couldn't find anywhere that confirmed it. One site said it was a recommended amount. Have I got this all wrong? :o
adamu
Sage

Re: PSA: Changing your tsumitate date could result in missed or double payments - be careful

Post by adamu »

banders wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:46 am am I wrong in thinking that the tsumitate has a maximum investment amount of ¥100,000 a month?
I've not tried it myself but my understanding is that that is the maximum amount in January, but the key figure (for the Tsumitate portion) is ¥1.2M a calendar year. So after January the monthly limit is whatever your remaining allowance is divided by however many months there are left in the year (which is more than ¥100k if you didn't use the full allowance every month so far).
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

OK, I'll try setting it to more for next month.
Butterball
Regular

Post by Butterball »

Yes, I'm contributing Y100,000/mo, so Y200,000 total in March, Y400,000 total for the year so far. So I don't think there's actually a monthly limit in either amount or number of contributions inherent to the tsumitate NISA system. The Y100,000/mo maximum is just part of the provider's interface.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

OK, that confirms it. Thanks.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

Nope. I have set a Tsumitate for ¥100k next month. When I try to set up another one, it only gives me the choice of Tokutei or growth portion.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

banders wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:08 am Nope. I have set a Tsumitate for ¥100k next month. When I try to set up another one, it only gives me the choice of Tokutei or growth portion.
I imagine they are working on a projected basis; if you are set to do 100k tsumitate a month then it’s creating an assumption that you’ll do 1200k a year in tsumitate, which is the limit assuming zero bonus buys.

If you want to do more than 100k a month in tsumitate, without using a bonus, then thats’s not really “tsumitate”… since you’ll run out of tsumitate allocation to use in nisa before a year is out.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

Good point. That makes sense.