Washing Machine with Dryer

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
concerned
Veteran

Re: Washing Machine with Dryer

Post by concerned »

TJKansai wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:37 am
concerned wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:52 am Thanks! all for the replies. The Gas sounds tempting, but considering the extra space needed and need to drill a hole in the wall, will go with the Combo one. Will pay the extra to avoid arguments, will be money well spent ;)
Let us know how it is. Ours is over 10 years old now and who knows how many years it has left. It is a combo but the dryer function can only handle a tiny amount, so my wife never uses it.

We had a gas dryer in Okinawa in our AirBnB and she loved it. Once we got back I looked into getting one she shot down the idea. She thinks sunlight is better and less wasteful.
We went with the AQUA AQW-DX12N (W) model which has the built in head pump dryer. Paid 135,000 at Yamada Denki. Its pretty compact as well which was the deciding factor, no issues so far to date with this.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

TJKansai wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:40 am
Moneymatters wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:17 am Remember the machine can break if you don’t look after it or overload it. (I know this as we are on our 3rd or maybe 4th..).
Your 3-4 machines: were they combos or separate dyers?
All combos.
If you are interested in how to get through then so quickly. My top tips are.
Toss aside the instruction book. These things are supposed to be intuitive..
If the door still closes. Well, it clearly wasn’t full was it. Apply the same principles as packing a suitcase. If there is someone else in the house ask them to lend a shoulder in forcing the door closed. And don’t let the room get ventilation.

Oh. Rather predictably, since my earlier comment we’ve replaced the machine again… I couldn’t tell you what we’ve bought. It’s like working at an animal shelter at this point. I find it best not to form any kind of attachment to them. (Unlike some of my socks..)
"That guy"
mc_spanner

Post by mc_spanner »

Deep Blue wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:47 am we don't use mangles to wash our clothes any more
I remember my fascination with the neighbours' mangle when I was a young 'un. Somehow I still have all of my fingers.
PaulP

Post by PaulP »

I am on my seventh year with a Hitachi Big Drum and am very happy. You do have to clean the lint out of the floor drain after running the cleaning cycle. The machine did get clogged up with lint once and we had to have ~8000 yen service call. Oh and It's not very fast, 3-4 hours per load. We probably do 4-5 loads per week. I honestly haven't analyzed the electric usage.
AdultingInJapan

Post by AdultingInJapan »

Recently bough a Sharp Washing Machine /Dryer from a bonus. Loving it so far. Definitely worth it, cuts significant time spent in laundry and focus on more important stuff :D
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Have a dryer saves my wife about 30-60 minutes a day. While I think we could probably reduce the amount of washing by 50% (I don’t think all clothes need to be washed every day) the basic facts are she does it and I don’t want to do it so I defer to her best judgement.

Happy wife, happy life.

Come to think of it, we don’t have many regular female posters here? The gender balance seems quite skewed to men, even though it is often the wife in charge of finances in Japan. I guess they are chatting away on a Japanese language investment forum sonewhere…
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Deep Blue wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:57 pm Come to think of it, we don’t have many regular female posters here? The gender balance seems quite skewed to men, even though it is often the wife in charge of finances in Japan. I guess they are chatting away on a Japanese language investment forum sonewhere…
Same on YouTube, but I find my course participants and coaching clients are closer to 50-50...
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

Deep Blue wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:57 pm Come to think of it, we don’t have many regular female posters here? The gender balance seems quite skewed to men, even though it is often the wife in charge of finances in Japan. I guess they are chatting away on a Japanese language investment forum sonewhere…
Let's be honest, they're saving in cash and buying inefficient insurance policies.
kawasemi
Regular

Post by kawasemi »

We've had one of those Zaboon washer/dryers for about 4 years now, made by Toshiba. We did have one part fail on us, but it wasn't too pricy too replace.

The Kakaku listings (https://kakaku.com/kaden/washing-machine/) are always a good place to start, just filter for ドラム式洗濯乾燥機 on the left.