NISA General Questions | SBI

adamu
Sage

Re: NISA General Questions | SBI

Post by adamu »

What does your 口座管理 → 口座(円建) → 保有証券 screen look like?
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

Teflon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:38 am
RetireJapan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:02 am Are you sure the 100 shares are actually in your New NISA account? Doesn't seem like it from the screenshot.
Yeah, good question! I'm pretty sure I selected NISA when I bought it, and it shows up under the NISA section of my portfolio. The order history for this transaction appears to be NISA:

Maybe I failed to select something?
https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOCD ... 1C2000000/

Have a read of this. It does seem that even receiving dividends tax free into NISA is a journey fraught with peril.
"That guy"
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

Thanks for all the feedback. Here are some screen caps of the mentioned pages:
adamu wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:48 pm What does your 口座管理 → 口座(円建) → 保有証券 screen look like?
Moneymatters wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:13 pm https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOCD ... 1C2000000/

Have a read of this. It does seem that even receiving dividends tax free into NISA is a journey fraught with peril.
This looks okay to me:

It's a real mystery! :o
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Time to contact the broker I guess. Good luck!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:03 am Time to contact the broker I guess. Good luck!
Send a message through their internal message system, that respond quickly.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Teflon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:44 am
adamu wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:48 pm What does your 口座管理 → 口座(円建) → 保有証券 screen look like?
This is not the full screenshot as you should also be able to see all accounts there including the 300 in the old NISA and potentially any others that were taxed. I want to rule out completely that you don't have any in a taxable account.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I think I've got it.

The ex-dividend date for the Japan Tobacco 25 Mar Dividend was 28 December.
You ordered your 100 NISA stocks on 4 Jan. This is after 28 December, so you should not be eligible for the 25 Mar dividend on those shares.
My guess is you sold 100 shares from your taxable account to transfer to the NISA, but you still got the dividend in your taxable account due to owning them in that account on 28 Dec.
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

adamu wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:42 am I think I've got it.

The ex-dividend date for the Japan Tobacco 25 Mar Dividend was 28 December.
You ordered your 100 NISA stocks on 4 Jan. This is after 28 December, so you should not be eligible for the 25 Mar dividend on those shares.
My guess is you sold 100 shares from your taxable account to transfer to the NISA, but you still got the dividend in your taxable account due to owning them in that account on 28 Dec.
Wow thank you so much! That makes perfect sense. I normally buy stocks in my taxable account when I run out of space in the NISA. In January I then sell it and repurchase the same in the new NISA. It never occurred to me the dividend would carry over from the old holdings into the future. So you are spot on! Thanks again. Mystery solved. :D
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Teflon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:38 pm... the dividend would carry over from the old holdings into the future. ...
It's not that it 'carries over'. You were the owner of record on 28 Dec, the ex-div date. As such, you'll get the dividend, whether you re-bought the shares or not.

Also, you have to own the shares before the ex-div date, in this case 27 Dec or earlier. If you bought the shares on 28 Dec (or of course after), the seller gets the dividend, not you. And if you sell on the ex-div date, you'll still get the dividend.

In some perfect world, on the ex-div date the price of a stock would fall by the exact amount of the dividend being paid. While something like that effect can certainly be visible (more so for higher div stocks), there are other factors that can affect a stock's price at the same time.