Japanese state pension different this year?

KCLenny
Veteran

Japanese state pension different this year?

Post by KCLenny »

Hi all, last year I changed my state pension payment to be via credit card instead of at a conbini.
I just got a post card saying that for this new year the credit card payment has been automatically continued (great!).
But there were 2 things different that I noticed.
1. The price. Has the state pension gone up? Looks like about 400 yen increase or something.
2. The number of instalments. Until now I’ve paid 10 times a year. But this post card informs me that there will be 12 withdrawals a year (at the new increased price!). Is that correct? Have I missed something? That’s an extra ¥35000 this year that I wasn’t expecting or even aware of.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Japanese state pension different this year?

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

¥16,520 per month from April 2023 to March 2024.
¥16,980 per month from April 2024 to March 2025

There is often a credit card processing fee, did you check the payment form? I believe when I looked credit card was the most expensive option, and yearly lump sum was the cheapest.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

So the price has increased standard. That’s fine. I pay fuka nenkin for that pushes mine up 400 yen so mine is 17,300 odd. That’s fine. Checked the pension website and no charge for paying by card thankfully.

As for the number of instalments…am I just being stupid? I could have sworn up until now I only paid 10 times a year because I only received 10 payment slips in the post every year (like in June or something, and then didn’t have to pay anything in April and May). I honestly don’t remember exactly. I know that’s the case for the national health insurance. If it’s the case for the national pension too then why am I now paying 12 times a year?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:54 am So the price has increased standard. That’s fine. I pay fuka nenkin for that pushes mine up 400 yen so mine is 17,300 odd. That’s fine. Checked the pension website and no charge for paying by card thankfully.

As for the number of instalments…am I just being stupid? I could have sworn up until now I only paid 10 times a year because I only received 10 payment slips in the post every year (like in June or something, and then didn’t have to pay anything in April and May). I honestly don’t remember exactly. I know that’s the case for the national health insurance. If it’s the case for the national pension too then why am I now paying 12 times a year?
That is health insurance. Nenkin has always been 12 monthly payments.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:54 am 10 payment slips in the post every year
You are not wrong. Here is an explainer.
There are 4 options for credit card payment/early payments.

2 years/1 year/6 months/1 month

https://www.nenkin.go.jp/service/kokune ... tcard.html
The other type is "non-early"/Regular Payment.

Insurance premiums are paid for 12 months from April to March of the following year, in 10 installments from June to March of the following year (June period to March period)

https://www.city.ota.tokyo.jp/seikatsu/ ... index.html
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Ok. So I’m just losing it. Ahah. Thanks for the clarification ^_^