How long does it take to renew a UK passport

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
mc_spanner

How long does it take to renew a UK passport

Post by mc_spanner »

My UK passport is valid until September 2024. I was planning to renew it around now. (I got a passport photo with a code when I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago). It turns out, however, that I will need to make an overseas business trip in mid-March, so I am trying to decide if I should wait until I get back from that trip before I submit my application for a new passport.

- Does anyone know how long the passport renewal process is taking these days?
- Do I have to surrender my current passport when I make the application for a new one?
- Will I need to get a new passport photo if I wait until late March to submit the application?
Gareth
Veteran

Re: How long does it take to renew a UK passport

Post by Gareth »

mc_spanner wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:24 pm
- Does anyone know how long the passport renewal process is taking these days?
- Do I have to surrender my current passport when I make the application for a new one?
- Will I need to get a new passport photo if I wait until late March to submit the application?
Last year, it took less than a month for me.

Yes you have to send off your old passport.

Not sure if you’ll need a new photo but I just took my photo on my phone. That’s acceptable these days. The system automatically checks if it is suitable. Took me three attempts to get the lighting right (closing the curtains did the trick)

Depends on the passport requirements of the place you are going to. If they need six months or more, then renew it today. If not, waiting until after your trip will mean you will “waste” fewer months. “Unused” months aren’t added to your passport like they used to be.

All the best!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Lots of info here
https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... _passports

It doesn't answer the question, though :lol: (edit: actually it does. Thanks, kuma!)

Waiting until after March as Gareth said seems the sensible choice if you don't need to do it earlier.
Last edited by adamu on Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mc_spanner

Post by mc_spanner »

Thanks. I'll wait until after my trip to renew the passport.
Hopefully I won't have to travel in April or May ... I'd better plan on staying local for Golden Week.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

There are other options, details in the link :)

But applying after you get back is probably the least hassle.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

The wiki links to: https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/

In 2023, it took approx 3 weeks for my adult passport renewal (from online application to delivery of passport in Japan) and that was when passport office strikes were in force.

I personally wouldn’t like my passport to dip below 6 months of validity. I’ve experienced unscheduled overnight layovers before, and any passport validity issues might add to the difficulty of a journey in such an instance. That’s just me though; the logic of other responders seems sound.
mc_spanner

Post by mc_spanner »

I got an email notification that my new passport has been printed and sent by courier. Very quick turnaround - especially considering the Easter holiday. Being able to track the delivery of my old passport and the progress of the application was reassuring:

23/MAR (Sat): Submitted application online (using the photo that I took in January)
26/Mar (Tue): Sent old passport from my local post office (EMS)
28/Mar (Thu): Documents delivered (according to Japan Post tracking site)
3/Apr (Wed): Documents received (according to UK Passport Office tracking site)
4/Apr (Thu): Application approved
5/Apr (Fri): Passport printed and sent by courier