Re: Preplanning your own funeral

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

I would gladly pay 2,000 yen to buy a hard rock album called
cocacola wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:43 amgasoline and a bic
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:50 am I have a plot of land and would be happy to be doused in gasoline, burned, then scattered on that land.
I've wondered if this is OK...
Not the human BBQ out back, but the scattering of ashes. I'd like my ashes to be scattered at some of my favourite places that have meant a lot to me over the years i.e. mountain tops, camping spots, rivers, lakes, local 7-11 :lol: etc. Is that OK, or more of a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing? How about growing a tree from the ashes or something?
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
japantous

Post by japantous »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:50 am Just to piggy back on this, is a funeral involving a crematorium required by law in Japan?
The law seems to prohibit "burying of remains or cremated remains on any land not designated as a cemetery." This seems especially set in stone in Tokyo where burials are prohibited by municipal ordinance. If you have land outside of Tokyo it sounds like you may be able to obtain permission as the article below says the law was written 50 years ago and these days there is a wider variety of funeral traditions (e.g., tree burials).

https://www.hanami-zuki.com/guide/archives/1210
japantous

Post by japantous »

Bushiman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:14 am I've wondered if this is OK...
Not the human BBQ out back, but the scattering of ashes. I'd like my ashes to be scattered at some of my favourite places that have meant a lot to me over the years i.e. mountain tops, camping spots, rivers, lakes, local 7-11 :lol: etc. Is that OK, or more of a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing? How about growing a tree from the ashes or something?
According to this site, scattering ashes at sea is not prohibited by law, but there are some rules to follow when doing so.

https://www.osohshiki.jp/column/article ... 1e2bcdd855

For example, the remains must be in ash ("powder") form when scattered (some bones can remain intact from the cremation and we wouldn't want those washing up on shore) and don't scatter them near drinking water sources or fisheries.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

My wife was asking about this last month:

My feeling (my Japanese mother-in-law wishes as well), dust in the wind. No funeral, just a small gathering.

My wife's wants internment in the Buddhist cemetery, along with me. ...(father-in-law also wants this for himself and his wife.)

1. I don't want to create future financial or time obligations for my kids.

2. Do they even accept atheists? (I am fine with lying for my her sake though).
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

(deleted)
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

japantous wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:12 am According to this site, scattering ashes at sea is not prohibited by law, but there are some rules to follow when doing so.
There's a company round here that will take you to sea on a small boat in order to scatter someone's ashes. There are a few regulations, such as distance from the shore, and not too cheap I hear. But it is an option.

Ashes in your garden to grow a tree on is probably illegal but who the heck would know about it? As long as you don't include bones and don't spread the word much then I'm sure it would be OK. Actually we used to throw eaten chicken drumsticks in the organic rubbish bin outside, then months or years later use the compost for gardening. We still find chicken bones in the garden every now and again so bones really do take a long time to decompose.

About the metal parts in a cremated body, the staff remove them with chopsticks before collecting the bones for crushing. Presumably they've cooled down enough to allow this, or the chopsticks are well-insulated? Not sure.