Not Japanese, no entry

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
adamu
Sage

Not Japanese, no entry

Post by adamu »

Doesn't happen often, but did today when I tried to board a Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force ship that was open to the public. A bit miffed, to be honest.

At the time I just said "oh, okay," and left, but I wish I'd have pushed back a bit more. Probably not a good idea to pick a fight with them though 😂 Still they were completely judging by appearance. Who knows how many Japanese-looking non-Japanese people they let through. I'm not going to naturalise just to be smug in situations like that, but does make you think...

Anyway, just venting. And wondering if it is actually the policy or just an over-vigilant steward.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Not Japanese, no entry

Post by RetireJapan »

Woah, that seems bang out of order. I would have made a fuss at that point, at least ask a superior to explain themselves on camera.

Don't see any reason for such a policy, if it even existed.

As taxpaying residents, we also pay for the ship.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:02 pm Woah, that seems bang out of order. I would have made a fuss at that point, at least ask a superior to explain themselves on camera.

Not everyone has the personality to "speak to the manager" on the spot. Though I certainly respect those who can channel their inner Karen for the good of all. :)

I think I would complain vocally, and perhaps even leave a public facing negative reviews that described the experience from a purely factual basis (to avoid slander). I would also be messaging the Mainichi or similar.

If they asked you for I.D that would be acceptable IMO, I remember needing a passport at certain sites in America.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 am
RetireJapan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:02 pm Woah, that seems bang out of order. I would have made a fuss at that point, at least ask a superior to explain themselves on camera.

Not everyone has the personality to "speak to the manager" on the spot. Though I certainly respect those who can channel their inner Karen for the good of all. :)

I think I would complain vocally, and perhaps even leave a public facing negative reviews that described the experience from a purely factual basis (to avoid slander). I would also be messaging the Mainichi or similar.

If they asked you for I.D that would be acceptable IMO, I remember needing a passport at certain sites in America.
As a non-Japanese Resident, you are only required to carry your Zairyu Card at all times.
As a non-Japanese Visitor, you are required to carry your Passport at all times.
Japanese are not required to carry any form of I.D..
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

They weren't asking anybody for ID, they just saw me and waved their hand and said in English "Sorry only Japanese".

As I said I left it at that but wish I'd pushed it further to find out if it was an over-simplification or an actual policy.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

I think I would have left it at that too. As TW says it's not so easy to make a fuss on the spot, particularly if the official looks stern and uncompromising! Though afterwards I would have regretted not asking why at least, and maybe mentioning how long I have been here, how much tax I pay, and so on. I doubt it would've changed his mind though.

I guess it's a policy designed to limit the risk of foreign spies entering the ship? But opening it up to the public is a bad idea if that's the intention!

Hope it didn't spoil your day too much adamu. These things happen I guess. A few months ago I was shouted at by a mean-looking guy in a road rage incident and felt pretty bad about it for a while. It was one of the rare times that the Japanese weren't kind and polite to me :(
cocacola
Regular

Post by cocacola »

Hmm... I understand the feeling about being profiled, then denied something that is expected to be open to all people... but this situation reminds me of a strange thing I observed several months ago.

I live in an area of Tokyo where it is not known to be popular to tourists (hooray). There is nothing tourist-y around the main station, nor is there anything tourist-y around my general living proximity. I do see tourists, but they are usually staying at an AirBnB or something in my area.

Several months ago, I was walking to my local grocer, where there is a bus stop situated right in front of it. As I was walking, I noticed a long line of, what appeared to be, Chinese men, filing out of the bus, led by an Asian woman (she was probably Chinese, too). I know I am profiling, too, but we all do it, so cut me some slack! Anyway, it wasn't the fact that they were Chinese that caught my attention. It was because they were walking all in single-file, and they appeared to be between mid-20's and 30's. All quite fit, tall. All men. None of them carried any bags, backpacks, luggage. It just seemed odd... usually, for a tour group, you'd see a mix of different people-types, and you could really tell that they are tourists. This situation was strange.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, nothing happened. They just walked off somewhere, following this woman, down the main street and off to a side street.

I didn't pay much attention to them at that moment, but, thinking about it later, I thought that they might be part of a military unit... they appeared like they might fit that profile, with their age and fitness level. Plus, the whole situation of them not carrying any bags, looking around curiously, following a woman in single-file. What Chinese tourist group follows someone in single-file? :lol:

Of course, I cannot confirm any of this. It is just a gut feeling. But if I had observed something suspicious like that, perhaps the Japanese SDF being cautious is warranted...
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

cocacola wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:16 am
Several months ago, I was walking to my local grocer, where there is a bus stop situated right in front of it. As I was walking, I noticed a long line of, what appeared to be, Chinese men, filing out of the bus, led by an Asian woman (she was probably Chinese, too). I know I am profiling, too, but we all do it, so cut me some slack! Anyway, it wasn't the fact that they were Chinese that caught my attention. It was because they were walking all in single-file, and they appeared to be between mid-20's and 30's. All quite fit, tall. All men. None of them carried any bags, backpacks, luggage. It just seemed odd... usually, for a tour group, you'd see a mix of different people-types, and you could really tell that they are tourists. This situation was strange.
I didn't pay much attention to them at that moment, but, thinking about it later, I thought that they might be part of a military unit... they appeared like they might fit that profile, with their age and fitness level.
I have seen baseball players travelling together in Japan that fit that profile.

I visited a US ship at a Japanese port. I don't remember anyone showing ID.

Trying to enter Yokotsuka, my son was denied entry (as a guest) because he (we) couldn't remember his social security number. Real bummer as he was looking forward to the Taco Bell.
JimNasium
Veteran

Post by JimNasium »

This reminds me of the time there was a “Whale Festival” at my local port. They had free whale soup (pretty gross in my opinion), whale bone goods, and the “RESEARCH” whaling ship. You could go on and get a tour of the ship. This was during the height of the Greenpeace “terrorist attacks” against them (They were throwing rotten butter at them if I remember correctly). I went to tour the boat with my international student group friends. They straight up said “We will be watching you carefully”. But they did let us on.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Tkydon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:19 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 am

As a non-Japanese Resident, you are only required to carry your Zairyu Card at all times.
As a non-Japanese Visitor, you are required to carry your Passport at all times.
Japanese are not required to carry any form of I.D..
My point is they could still require I.D, even if Japanese people are not strictly required to carry it at all times.

This is normal for sensitive sites in many countries.

Example: CDC Museum in America
All visitors must show government-issued photo-ID. Visitors under 18 years of are not required to show ID if they are accompanied by adults with valid photo-ID. All adult non-U.S. citizens must present a valid passport for entry.