Work problems.

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Work problems.

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

KCLenny wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:30 pm Huh doesn’t it?
I work 5 days a week, 30 hours a week, and 230 days a year. Am I misunderstanding something?
Don’t I meet all those criteria?
The picture you uploaded features a schedule with rather limited hours.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Ah yes. I can understand the confusion. The uploaded document is just an example. It’s not my hours.
It just says “teacher A” and teacher B” as examples for hours worked to paid holiday.

As I said, I work roughly 32 hours a week. 5 days a week.
Nancy
Regular

Post by Nancy »

This link has a brochure with a list at the end of labor consultation phone numbers. The first one you have to pay for and the second one is free I think. They may be able to give you a better idea of your rights. It does seem punitive to not give you your annual leave.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/new-info/kobetu/ ... ish_01.pdf
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

KCLenny wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:02 pm Ah yes. I can understand the confusion. The uploaded document is just an example. It’s not my hours.
It just says “teacher A” and teacher B” as examples for hours worked to paid holiday.

As I said, I work roughly 32 hours a week. 5 days a week.
Your employer seems to be trying to classify you as a part-time worker. There is an important distinction in Japanese labour law between 'regular' employees and contract / part-time employees. The big Eikawa chains used to do the same thing to avoid paying their portion of shakai hoken (they may still do this,I am not sure).

Based on this thread and others, my suggestion is to try your hardest to find an employer who treats you better. Getting them to pay into shakai hoken would be a minimum requirement to meet this criteria, for me.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

beanhead wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:42 am Your employer seems to be trying to classify you as a part-time worker. There is an important distinction in Japanese labour law between 'regular' employees and contract / part-time employees. The big Eikawa chains used to do the same thing to avoid paying their portion of shakai hoken (they may still do this,I am not sure).

Based on this thread and others, my suggestion is to try your hardest to find an employer who treats you better. Getting them to pay into shakai hoken would be a minimum requirement to meet this criteria, for me.
So what am I? Regular or irregular?
And if I’m irregular do I not still get entitled to paid vacation?
If so, how much?
And if I am entitled, are there any reasons an employer can deny them?
And if anyone has any evidence for any of these that I can use to show my boss, that’d be greatly appreciated
Nancy
Regular

Post by Nancy »

Call and ask a professional about your case. I know that the law has changed during the past few years to define what is a part-time or full time employee. I seem to remember that if a person works over 30 hours a week that they are supposed to get benefits (pension and health insurance) although it may depend on the size of the company. There is kind of gray areas for small companies, but they management should be reasonable, especially since you have worked there for a number of years.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

KCLenny wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:20 pm
And if anyone has any evidence for any of these that I can use to show my boss, that’d be greatly appreciated
Here are some details in English. Better of course to find the Japanese.
https://www.jetro.go.jp/en/invest/setti ... on4/page9/

You can find out this info with a bit of Google searching, or as others have suggested, try to get some expert help.
If you think it is worth trying to negotiate this with your employer.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

I think the best people to ask are the Labour Union or the prefecture's work/labour board. They understand the law and the rules, and can speak to them on your behalf.
Last edited by Bubblegun on Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Part of the problem is that KCLenny seems unaware of how many paid days off they have had previously. That needs to be firmly established first. They need to compare their paystubs, to their schedule and come up with an answer.

Then they need to see if they meet the qualification for full-time based on their company size, and their working status.